What's new

Stock Speaker Upgrade non bose

Dsurf

Reaction score
I was on the fence for a while about upgrading the factory speakers. Wondering if it was even worth it to just update the speakers, i don't want to mess with the HU it sounds like a nightmare. I decided to start with the front door speakers, see if that made a noticeable improvement before considering the rest. I'm a huge JBL fan and as I had hoped, they kick some ass. I spent about $100 on crutchfield and got 2 JBL 9631F speakers, crutchfield includes the required speaker mounting rings and wiring harnesses. It took me about an hr to remove the door panels, install them and reassemble last night. Today I'm ordering a pair for the back.
$100 well spent, if your on the fence like I was, GO FOR IT! You'll thank me later. The improvement is HUUUUUUUUUGE(as donald would say.)

The 2.75" dash speakers replacements are limited. I picked up a pair of Pioneer TS-A709 2 ways and they definitely bring up the sound stage and the highs are so much better than the stock junk. Most of the aftermarket ones are all one way paper cones like the stock stuff so you don't get any additional highs. I tried using a set of ribbon tweeters I had laying around and they made a difference, but the 2 way Pioneers still sound much better overall.

I did Crutchfield awhile ago because of the interactive search tool for stock,upgrade and powered upgrade with vehicle specific options. The included adapters,wires,instructions,mounting cups(adapters) all included are huge. The last time I replaced a system we had to buy all of that stuff separately even the terminals ! I did a component set and rears. It sounded amazing on the stock non-Bose radio. I called the customer service in the evening, the tech confirmed my tweeter setup. $317 OTD !

Attachments

• CRUTCHFIELD 1.png
    CRUTCHFIELD 1.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 185
  • CRUTCHFIELD 2.png
    CRUTCHFIELD 2.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 183
I did Crutchfield awhile ago because of the interactive search tool for stock,upgrade and powered upgrade with vehicle specific options. The included adapters,wires,instructions,mounting cups(adapters) all included are huge. The last time I replaced a system we had to buy all of that stuff separately even the terminals ! I did a component set and rears. It sounded amazing on the stock non-Bose radio. I called the customer service in the evening, the tech confirmed my tweeter setup. $317 OTD !
That's the same reason I went with Crutchfield. Plus they even give you instructions on how to disassemble everything. Do the mounts have a place for the crossover's to go or where did you put those? Did you put the component woofers in the front doors and then used the tweeters up on the dash or ? I went with 3 way, I wasn't sure what to do with surface mount tweeters and or crossovers.

The 2.75" dash speakers replacements are limited. I picked up a pair of Pioneer TS-A709 2 ways and they definitely bring up the sound stage and the highs are so much better than the stock junk. Most of the aftermarket ones are all one way paper cones like the stock stuff so you don't get any additional highs. I tried using a set of ribbon tweeters I had laying around and they made a difference, but the 2 way Pioneers still sound much better overall.
Did you only replace the dash speakers and saw a nice improvement? I wasn't sure if i was going to swap out the dash speakers or not. I think I'd rather put one or two of these compact woofers under the seats first. I judt don't want to give up any storage space under the seat.
719WFEozeXL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I started with the dash speakers because I had the tweeters laying around. It brightened up the sound greatly. I planned to replace the door speakers once I decided what brand and type I wanted to go with. I ended up going with MB Quart Reference speakers, 6.5" RK1-116 in the rear doors and 6x9" RK1-169 in the front doors. I then decided to put the Pioneers in the dash as with just the tweeters and the MB Quarts the sound stage was too low for my liking as the tweeters weren't able to be aimed on the MB Quarts. The Pioneers helped bring the sound stage up higher and mid range and vocals are more at dash level than at my feet. I need to take the center jump seat out and measure dimensions inside to see if I can find a powered sub that will fit there.

That's the same reason I went with Crutchfield. Plus they even give you instructions on how to disassemble everything. Do the mounts have a place for the crossover's to go or where did you put those? Did you put the component woofers in the front doors and then used the tweeters up on the dash or ? I went with 3 way, I wasn't sure what to do with surface mount tweeters and or crossovers.
Yes 6x9s up front (w/ tweeters in stock location) 6 1/2 2-ways in rear doors. The tweeter mounts I had to bore out to do a flush fit and screw back in. I called tech support for the X-over set up. She had me reassured in no time. I used the factory wiring of the dash tweeters (cut the wrapped loom for slack). If I remember, wired the tweeters (only to x-over) and zip tied the box in the voids under the tweeter area after adjustment. After a test listen on the driver side I had to switch the wiring opposite of what the wiring online said for the correct output. It all went decently smooth. I did also put rubber baffles on all 4.

Attachments

• Screenshot (715).png
    Screenshot (715).png
    443.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (716).png
    Screenshot (716).png
    419.3 KB · Views: 78
I started with the dash speakers because I had the tweeters laying around. It brightened up the sound greatly. I planned to replace the door speakers once I decided what brand and type I wanted to go with. I ended up going with MB Quart Reference speakers, 6.5" RK1-116 in the rear doors and 6x9" RK1-169 in the front doors. I then decided to put the Pioneers in the dash as with just the tweeters and the MB Quarts the sound stage was too low for my liking as the tweeters weren't able to be aimed on the MB Quarts. The Pioneers helped bring the sound stage up higher and mid range and vocals are more at dash level than at my feet. I need to take the center jump seat out and measure dimensions inside to see if I can find a powered sub that will fit there.
The instructions I got from crutchfield showed how to disassemble the center council to swap out a factory sub that some models have. My truck doesn't have one. The disassembly looked pretty extensive. It was rated level 5 difficulty whatever that means. If you end up doing it let me know how it goes!

What did you go with in rears? JBL 3 ways of 2 ways?

The instructions I got from crutchfield showed how to disassemble the center council to swap out a factory sub that some models have. My truck doesn't have one. The disassembly looked pretty extensive. It was rated level 5 difficulty whatever that means. If you end up doing it let me know how it goes!
I have the bench/jumpseat, not the console. I believe there's 4 bolts holding it on. I have a leather kit I bought when I had the truck on order that I haven't installed yet because it's more of a hassle than I thought.

What did you go with in rears? JBL 3 ways of 2 ways?
I just ordered JBL 2 ways and some jbl tweeters for the dash. The 3 ways sound great but I think a lot of the benefit of 3 way speakers is lost being projected into your legroom. If you put your head down low it sounds amazing. I'll update when I get the gear and install it.

I ordered new speakers for the front and rear doors yesterday from Crutchfield and they should be delivered tomorrow! I'm anxiously waiting to hear the difference in sound quality that was one of the major things I was disappointed with when I bought my TB Custom.

I ordered:
  • Kicker 46CSC654 speakers for the rear
  • Rockford Fosgate P1692 speakers for the fronts

Dsurf, keep us posted! I'm interested in possibly upgrading the stock Bose speakers as well.

Dsurf, keep us posted! I'm interested in possibly upgrading the stock Bose speakers as well.
You have the Bose speakers and want to replace them? Before I got my TB I had a High Country as a loaner because... (long story) but it had the Bose sound package. I thought it was pretty damn good. Then when my TB came in with the factory paper cone garbage speakers I couldn't live with them. Hopefully my new gear will arrive tomorrow for the back doors and front tweeters.

I ordered new speakers for the front and rear doors yesterday from Crutchfield and they should be delivered tomorrow! I'm anxiously waiting to hear the difference in sound quality that was one of the major things I was disappointed with when I bought my TB Custom.

I ordered:
  • Kicker 46CSC654 speakers for the rear
  • Rockford Fosgate P1692 speakers for the fronts
let us know how they sound!

Most Reactions

Back