What's new

Suspension upgrade?

Tin Can TB

Reaction score
Looking for anyone with experience upgrading their trucks with new coilovers. Considering swapping out my suspension with Fox 2.5" Performance Elite Series that will net a 1.5" lift in the front of my truck ('21 Trail Boss). Would also consider King or Icon shocks too. All the coilovers require new upper control arms to correct the angle of the factory upper ball joint; again any experience with any of the various brands will be much appreciated. BDS makes a 1.5" coilover kit that uses Fox shocks and seems to check all the boxes, but I would love to hear from someone before I drop $3800 on the kit just to find out the truck rides no better than stock. I will also be up-sizing the tires after the lift/level and if I do not keep the factory 18" wheels I will be going with aftermarket 17" wheels to gain as much sidewall squish as possible.

My background:
I came out of a 2020 Ford F-150 Raptor; I understand that my trail boss will never ride like a raptor, but there has to be some improvement over the stock rancho suspension right? I am not looking to blast down some offroad trail with my truck, rather just trying to smooth out the ride on the back country roads I live on that are all washboards and pot holes. I do a fail amount of offroading with my side by sides and I am mechanically inclined enough to do my own installs, maintenance, etc.

Appreciate any advice,

Travis

If you’re just looking to smooth out your ride over some dirt roads, just get bigger tires with more sidewall and run lower pressure. I’ve seen too many people spend $1000s on suspension mods and end up with a great looking truck that rides like crap on and off the road.

I was one of those too many people that spent 1000's on suspension mods with Dirt king UCA's and Fox 2.5 DSC coilovers and shocks and the ride off road is awesome for me, on road it rides like a pickup. I haven't' messed with the clickers any so on road someone might be able to get it to ride better like a Cadillac, I just don't want to think about having to make adjustments all the time between on and off road. Derek at DK was great to work with to make sure I got the correct stuff.

I did Bilstein 5100s front and rear. The fronts are adjustable and will add 1.1" in the front at max height. The truck now sits level at 1.1". I like these shocks better than the stock Ranchos as they handle bumps much better. The ride is a bit rouger though. I also went with 275/70/18 Ridge Grapplers for slightly more sidewall.

I spent around $500 for the shocks.
IMG-1041.jpg
IMG-1039.jpg

I was one of those too many people that spent 1000's on suspension mods with Dirt king UCA's and Fox 2.5 DSC coilovers and shocks and the ride off road is awesome for me, on road it rides like a pickup. I haven't' messed with the clickers any so on road someone might be able to get it to ride better like a Cadillac, I just don't want to think about having to make adjustments all the time between on and off road. Derek at DK was great to work with to make sure I got the correct stuff.
What kind of gain did you get on wheel travel?

Most Reactions

Back