What's new

Tonneau cover installed with glue by dealership

Dsurf

Reaction score
I had a tonneau cover added from the dealership. I thought it would be better than what I could get on Amazon. I believe it was around $800 installed. I like the one I have on my other truck better that I got on Amazon for $100.
The one from the dealer wasn't installed straight so it never lines up to fit properly. I finally decided I was going to straighten it out last night but found they used some sort of adhesive to glue it to the black plastic trim around the bed in addition to using the typical clamps. It seemed like it was going to break before I got it free.

I've never seen this before. I'm seriously pissed and before I go ruin a bunch of people's day at the dealership I wanted to ask:
Is this standard practice? Any of you guys have a tonneau cover that's glued down? It seems like a stupid idea on a new truck to permanently install something like that.

Nope contact the dealer and complain. No glue required.

I had a tonneau cover added from the dealership. I thought it would be better than what I could get on Amazon. I believe it was around $800 installed. I like the one I have on my other truck better that I got on Amazon for $100.
The one from the dealer wasn't installed straight so it never lines up to fit properly. I finally decided I was going to straighten it out last night but found they used some sort of adhesive to glue it to the black plastic trim around the bed in addition to using the typical clamps. It seemed like it was going to break before I got it free.

I've never seen this before. I'm seriously pissed and before I go ruin a bunch of people's day at the dealership I wanted to ask:
Is this standard practice? Any of you guys have a tonneau cover that's glued down? It seems like a stupid idea on a new truck to permanently install something like that.
I have never heard of that. I installed my last tonneau cover myself, but I have still never heard of glue being used. Sounds like someone didn't know what they were doing. Go talk to them for sure. If you are like me, just do some cooling-off exercises in the parking lot before you walk in lol.

I wonder if they tried to use a silicone sealant to prevent water? Doesn’t really matter I still haven’t heard of anybody doing that. I’d be pissed too.

Glue or black butyl sealant?
Not sure, I stopped trying to remove it when it looked like the trim would break before I got it free. When I get a chance I'll pull it into my shop and investigate more thoroughly.

Attachments

• Fv9d9dMXoAIaQPY.jpeg.jpg
    Fv9d9dMXoAIaQPY.jpeg.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 10
On my old LT I used to get water coming in at the corners in the front at a crease where the side of the box on top meets the strip of metal next to the window. I sealed that with silicone and I have heard of people using black butyl sealant to weather seal problem spots. My new trail boss has a dealer installed cover, but there is no exposed metal crease on the newer trucks and no glue was used to install mine.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back