What's new

Trail Boss vs RST Z71

garandpappy

Reaction score
Greetings from a newbie. My step dad is about to follow my lead with a 2021 Silverado. He has the opportunity to get a really good deal on a nicely optioned RST with a 5.3 and the dealership is adding the lift kit for him. Other that the transmission (8spd vs 10spd), what are other features/options might he be missing that would differentiate it from a 5.3 Trail Boss?

Greetings from a newbie. My step dad is about to follow my lead with a 2021 Silverado. He has the opportunity to get a really good deal on a nicely optioned RST with a 5.3 and the dealership is adding the lift kit for him. Other that the transmission (8spd vs 10spd), what are other features/options might he be missing that would differentiate it from a 5.3 Trail Boss?
Does it have a Z71 package? That has your hill descent, rancho shocks and skid plates for off road

Does it have a Z71 package? That has your hill descent, rancho shocks and skid plates for off road
Yeah. He’s looking at an RST with the Z71, same tow package and other options as mine . All I can figure that is different is the lift and the transmission as far as differences.

Yeah. He’s looking at an RST with the Z71, same tow package and other options as mine . All I can figure that is different is the lift and the transmission as far as differences.
That's all Trail Bosses are anyway. It's just the Z71 package with a 2" block lift. Black front end with black door handles and wheels are among the minor cosmetic differences. RST's and LT Trail Bosses are similar LT trim levels so interior and features are essentially the same. I don't think the RST has tow hooks like the TB red ones

Last edited:
The biggest difference is in the transmission. The RST comes with the 8 speed while the TB comes with the 10 speed. The Z71 comes with the 2 speed transfer case. All other 1500’s 4x4’s that don’t have the Z71 package only have a single speed transfer case so no low gear.
Also take a look at the tow capacity of the RST. It’s possible it may have a higher tow capacity than the TB. My 21 TB is rated for 9300 lbs. Not sure what the RST tow rating may be.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back