What's new

TrailBoss with sensitive, darty steering

07blackz71

Reaction score
I bought my 21 Silverado a little over a month ago. Test drive was fine but I did notice is was sensitive but I was coming from a F150. Now a couple weeks in, the steering is super sensitive. Any little movement in the steering wheel and it really wants to turn that direction in a scary way sometimes. I feels really darty. I am always correcting the steering to keep it straight. Not good when I want to haul a horse trailer.

I thought I would give it a few miles to see if it got better, but 1000 miles later it mas not improved. I adjusted the psi in the tires to see if that would help but it didn't. I have the stck Goodyear Duratrac tires. Could a new truck be out of alignment?

Anyone experience this on your truck? If so what was the cause?

I'm not having that issue and have not experienced it on my TB. Sounds like an overactive steering motor that's failing it's limits. I do know that my TB is super easy to steer, but what you are describing does indeed sound dangerous. Sounds like GM needs to look at it (I know, I hate the effing "go see the dealer" answer too).

I bought my 21 Silverado a little over a month ago. Test drive was fine but I did notice is was sensitive but I was coming from a F150. Now a couple weeks in, the steering is super sensitive. Any little movement in the steering wheel and it really wants to turn that direction in a scary way sometimes. I feels really darty. I am always correcting the steering to keep it straight. Not good when I want to haul a horse trailer.

I thought I would give it a few miles to see if it got better, but 1000 miles later it mas not improved. I adjusted the psi in the tires to see if that would help but it didn't. I have the stck Goodyear Duratrac tires. Could a new truck be out of alignment?

Anyone experience this on your truck? If so what was the cause?
I’ve noticed a milder version of exactly what you’re describing, but I don’t have a clue how to fix it. Is this purely software related do you think?

I assume we have electric steering?
If its fine one day then bad the next, seems like a software problem?

In looking historically, GM had to recall +/- 1 million vehicles due to steering system failure occurring in vehicles from 0 miles to 6,000 miles (rough numbers). Supposedly these systems were updated and out of production vehicles after 2018. This issue was a described "dead wheel" where the power steering completely failed electronically and left the driver having to rely on manual input to steer the vehicle, typically occurring at low speeds. The point being, sounds like GM has been doing poorly at steering for a while. I was not able to find anything via internet search regarding current production models having similar issues. Also, unable to find complaints that mentioned the above conditions. Are there any GM techs in these forums that can chime in?

I have noticed in auto 4wd that my steering seems to react differently sometimes. Even if there's no reason for the 4wd to kick in.

Weird. I haven’t experienced that issue. I checked AllData for any recalls or TSB at my shop. Nothing yet

I notice this in the afternoon but I always have a crosswind on the drive home so I attribute it to that.

I have the same issue with my 2019, I switched from a ram to this truck and was afraid it was nature of the beast

I too feel as though my TB is darty.. I’m scared to take my eyes off the road because you don’t know where your going to end up. I feel as though it’s tire related but you never know

Our 21 has the same issue. Thought it was caused by the tires, but really don’t know. Driving at highway speed on pavement requires constant steering correction. Really have to stay on top of it.

Do you guys think an alignment would help if the caster was adjusted… positive caster helps tracking, right?

I found the steering rather sensitive, as well (2021 bought in Feb.) Installing 1-1/2" Wheel/hub Spacers made the steering more comfortable, with less sensitivity. This may have been discussed in the Wheel Spacers thread.

Most Reactions

Back