What's new

Update on Installing a Front Receiver for a Winch

vezePilot

Reaction score
Completing my Front Receiver and re-installing the OpenRoad winch is dependent on finishing the welds. My neighbor welded the bottom and the front. The top and the rear need to be done. So I am learning to weld, in order to do this myself. I bought a Forney 140 FC-i 120 VAC Flux Core Wire Welder. It is working GREAT.

(refer to this thread for all of the previous discussion: https://www.trailboss.org/threads/installing-a-winch-on-a-trail-boss.546/page-3 )

I have to use my 5KW generator, though ... cuz my house built in 1952 does not have enough 20 amp circuits. But the Amico Cut-30 220 VAC plasma cutter also works well with my generator. :)

My welds are getting better. Almost good enough now.

betterWelds.jpeg

A butt weld, two pieces beveled and then welded together both top and underside:
buttWeld.jpeg

Forney140 FC-i.png

Finally got the welding done on this front receiver. I practiced a little more before setting it up, and cranked the Forney up pretty high, Current at setting 8 out of 10, for 1/4 inch thick. Forney suggests setting the wire Feed Speed usually the same as the current, but I have found that is too much. So I used 7 and about 7-1/2 for this.

And it's difficult to tell which are my welds and which are my neighbor's, who has a lot of experience. At least mostly.
ReceiverWelds1.jpeg

I ... have learned ... to Weld.
Receiverwelds2.jpeg

Now to sand, prime, paint and reinstall it into my Trail Boss.
I've watched videos by people like Matt's Off Road Recovery, Casey LaDelle, Rory/Trail Mater, Paul/Fab Rats, Robby Layton ...
They ALL know how to weld, and they practice often.

Last edited:
Sanded, primed and painted. Now all there is to do is re-install it into the truck. This receiver has been modified according to the Drawings provided in the original thread. It fits very well in a 2021 model year Trail Boss. And now it won't rust. :)

FinishedReceiverMod.jpeg

There were some additions and corrections necessary for the page 2 drawing, so here are the updated drawings:

CrossMember.png

FrontReceiver.png

I need to do this for my plow. Thanks for the info.

Most Reactions

Back