What's new

Valve Lifter

Loly

Reaction score
Just had my truck take a poop. Chevy says its a bad valve lifter. Part is on backorder. Anyone run into this issue?

Yes, this just happened to me at 17k miles. I thought I was past the issue but started my truck one morning and it was idling rough. Turned it off and restarted it and it was fine. Next morning the same thing but this time with a check engine light so I drove it straight to the dealership. Took them a day to replicate the issue and it was related to a faulty lifter. It took the dealership 3 days to get the lifters but 7 to get a head gasket. They changed out one bank of lifters so I would anticipate having this same issue pop up on the other bank in the near future. Bummer, but I was halfway expecting it since my truck was built within the time frame where they had lifter issues.

Yes, this just happened to me at 17k miles. I thought I was past the issue but started my truck one morning and it was idling rough. Turned it off and restarted it and it was fine. Next morning the same thing but this time with a check engine light so I drove it straight to the dealership. Took them a day to replicate the issue and it was related to a faulty lifter. It took the dealership 3 days to get the lifters but 7 to get a head gasket. They changed out one bank of lifters so I would anticipate having this same issue pop up on the other bank in the near future. Bummer, but I was halfway expecting it since my truck was built within the time frame where they had lifter issues.
I have not had this issue but want to know what the build timeframe for this issue is.

So, yesterday, I started my 2021 TB 6.2 and as I drive down the road and stopped, i thought I was hearing a weird knocking noise, then some rough idle but after giving it some gas it smoothed out and ran fine. Next day samer thing, but quickly cleared up and ran fine the rest of the day, only seems to be on cold startups. No check engine light or anyhting, but maybe its time to take it in. Less than 6K.

So, yesterday, I started my 2021 TB 6.2 and as I drive down the road and stopped, i thought I was hearing a weird knocking noise, then some rough idle but after giving it some gas it smoothed out and ran fine. Next day samer thing, but quickly cleared up and ran fine the rest of the day, only seems to be on cold startups. No check engine light or anyhting, but maybe its time to take it in. Less than 6K.
You’ll definitely know when you have the bad lifter problem. It will NOT clear up and fix itself😬

I would definitely take it in! My 2021 TB 6.2 LT popped on Monday. I saw the same thing which include the hesitation, strange knocking sound, followed by check engine lights and a bunch of codes. Within a minute or so it went quiet and drove ok. I as gently as possible limped to the dealership where they confirmed the dreaded lifter issue. The service advisor called and said they are replacing both banks. I haven't picked it up yet but I'm incredibly disappointed. Up until this time I loved the truck, but know I'm wondering what will happen next. The truck only has 5,700 miles. Good job GM!

So update, I started up the TB and the problem was worst, louder. Turned it of, started it again and sounded fine. I did however recourd the sound it was making a played for the service department. The came and towed it in and call the next morning. Yup, lifter issue. I was very lucky and the dealership had all the parts in stock to fix it. Might get it back by tomorrow.

wonder if they are just doing half the banks when over 8000 miles to conserve parts knowing more trucks will be coming in or if they are just half assing it to cheap out on the repair that should be a recall

I imagine itll end up as a class action suit anyways and have to extend warranty and refund anyone who has to repair out of pocket, same way Hyundai had to with their Theta motors

I just had the same thing happen to mine at 9k. If you live in the north be prepared since mine only did it during cold start. I popped the hood after work and started the truck. You could hear it popping under valve cover. Towed into shop last Thursday and they have it ready to be picked up in the morning. They only replaced one side since it’s over the requirement for both sides. We’ll see how long the other side last now.

--UPDATE ---
Becuase my truck had less than 8K miles, they replaced both sides of lifters and the bent pushrods. Then they said it was overheating, never has before but oh well, replaced the water pump. Got it home and it was overheating. They said the new water pump exploded, so replaced it again. Then, they got a bulletin that said the head gaskets were installed backwards at the plant. Fixed that. I now have it at home and it seems to be running good. A lot of engine work for a truck with less than 6K miles on it.

Same issue with my 2020 5.3 on October 27. After waiting 3 weeks for parts, I picked it up yesterday. They agreed to replace both banks per my request, but when I picked it up they had only replaced one side. They agreed to replace the other bank when parts come in. I drove it 20 miles and engine failed again. I had to get it towed in this morning. So disappointed in GM. I love the truck, but this is clearly larger than a few bad lifters from the manufacturer. Dealership had 6 more Silverados\Sierras waiting for parts for the same issue. I’m no mechanic or engineer, but it appears to be a design flaw and not a few bad parts. Absolutely unacceptable.

2021 Trail Boss LT 6.2L Black Edition....lost valve spring/push rod on passenger side at mid 8K miles. That side replaced. About a month later lost lifter/push rod on drivers side. That side replaced. Dealer gave me 100k warranty on engine.
So...major pain in the a** but I absolutely love the truck.

Update on mine 2020 5.3, 20k miles. 2 collapsed lifters, replaced all 8 on the right bank, didn't touch the left bank.
I asked why not replace all...answer was, we do a couple a week and due to parts availability, didn't want to hose the next guy in line out of some lifters.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back