What's new

What did you do to your Trailboss today? 🛠️

I added door sill protectors from a company called Red Hound.
They are USA made and are very nice quality, super sticky and very thick.

Attachments

• 20230309_165511.jpg
    20230309_165511.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20230309_165527.jpg
    20230309_165527.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20230309_165648.jpg
    20230309_165648.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 20230309_165654.jpg
    20230309_165654.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 155
I added door sill protectors from a company called Red Hound.
They are USA made and are very nice quality, super sticky and very thick.
I have to get these now. Haha. I noticed I drag my foot across the sill when I get out and I know it is going to rub the paint off. Thanks for sharing this.

I moved along on a project to add Off Road Lights on top of the cab (which is steel).

These will be on Magnetic Mounts, for temporary use when needed. Just like my flashing yellow light bar, and my CB radio antenna, the power wires will run in through the passenger door seal. My 9,500 lb Winch is also set up to be mounted only when it is needed.

I discovered an available fuse location for the 60W lights. They will draw 5 amps each, and in the Right Side Fuse Box there is a 20A fuse location, labeled F5, that is not used.

I’ll post more details and photos when I have completed and tested the lights.

Last edited:
Today my baby got the premium LineX spray on bedliner and the front driver and passenger windows got tinted with a ceramic coating to keep heat from radiating in.

I moved along on a project to add Off Road Lights on top of the cab (which is steel).

These will be on Magnetic Mounts, for temporary use when needed. Just like my flashing yellow light bar, and my CB radio antenna, the power wires will run in through the passenger door seal. My 9,500 lb Winch is also set up to be mounted only when it is needed.

I discovered an available fuse location for the 60W lights. They will draw 5 amps each, and in the Right Side Fuse Box there is a 20A fuse location, labeled F5, that is not used.

I’ll post more details and photos when I have completed and tested the lights.
Can't wait to see this. You always do interesting projects. I understand why your going magnetic with things like your yellow light bar for your recovery work. With todays plethora of off road lighting options I'm curious why you don't fix mount something? I suspect its because forward faceing options are easy but rear lighting options are not? There is an easy way to fish cable through the passenger side firewall to bring it into the cab.

Steve

... I'm curious why you don't fix mount something? I suspect its because forward facing options are easy but rear lighting options are not? There is an easy way to fish cable through the passenger side firewall to bring it into the cab.

Steve
That's a good question. One reason is that something permanently mounted would seem to me to require fasteners, and maybe drilling holes. NOT gonna do that sort of thing. And, Yes ... temporary mounting allows pointing the lights in different directions.

Forward facing for driving, side facing "ditch lights" for wheeling, and rear facing, maybe, for recovery work.

But also, I don't want items sticking out in the wind. That Colorado/Wyoming State line recovery involved EIGHT hours of highway driving. I really like the fact that this Lifted, 4x4 truck with off road tires gets fuel economy as good or better than the truck it replaced. That excellent 2011 Silverado was two-wheel drive, with street/highway tires, and a smaller 4.8L 302HP engine.

And, I also like the clean look of the stock appearance.

For the electrical, there just isn't any reason to go through the firewall. In the fuse boxes on both sides, there are unused fuse locations to tap into 12V with a dedicated fuse. Of course, it may be that these are unused only in the (lowly & humble) Custom trim level. But in the case of location F5 on the pax side, I found no documentation that this fuse spot is used in any model of 2021 Silverado.

Also, if I drill holes or make permanent mountings on ANY of the nice Red paint on this still-seems-brand-new Trail Boss ...
my wife won't divorce me. She'll just shoot me. :(

Lund aeroskin scored for 10ish bucks with Chevy points. And some matte black with orange trim hood spears to continue the theme.

Attachments

• 3043CFB2-2674-4A8E-BF5E-7DBD583163A2.jpeg
    3043CFB2-2674-4A8E-BF5E-7DBD583163A2.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 16493229-8462-4566-B599-9A62C4630C83.jpeg
    16493229-8462-4566-B599-9A62C4630C83.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 114
  • BD2F6048-CE9E-4021-B83A-EACEDEE87921.jpeg
    BD2F6048-CE9E-4021-B83A-EACEDEE87921.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 113
Full Weekend of detailing and coating:
  • Saturday morning was rinse down with a shampoo meant to remove waxes and coatings that may have come already installed, but also knocked several pounds of pollen off from the early stages of South Carolina spring. Foam cannons and pressure washers are amazing.
  • spray down and wipe entire vehicle with an iron removing spray. pretty amazing to see this stuff react with particles you can't see. stuff turns purple as it dissolves anything ferrous in the paint. rinse down with water again
  • clay bar entire truck, including glass
  • scrub windows and glass with glass cleaner.
  • Begin polishing. paint was in good condition to start, so I didn't do all three stages on the entire truck. Harbor freight polisher and hnexlogic pads, with exoforma polish and mirror finish product (stage 2&3 of their three stage system.) I was happy with the results.
  • final surface prep with isopropyl alcohol spray
  • Exoforma Graphene coating. First time using a product like this but it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. went on easy using suede applicator blocks. coated everything from glass to headlights to every painted surface I could find.
  • Sunday after church was wheels. Took them off the truck to get everything I could. foaming wheel spray with a cannon, wiped down the entire wheel and barrel, finished off with graphene coating and VPR tire protectant.

EDIT: added pics after it had time to cure in the garage. Very happy with the results…

E054F6CA-DCD6-48E2-83B6-2EB1ECDF50C0.jpeg
99B5DA9A-3CF3-487B-9C20-34E7E5A5964D.jpeg
521AF55B-2C37-42F6-BDAA-EE971DC794AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Source for both your front shackles and spear vinyl?
https://www.jnjgraphicdesigns.com/product-page/pair-of-trail-boss-mountain-hood-spear-decals
J and J graphic design, veteran owned. Got both my bedside decal and hood spears from here since I wanted a non standard color. Had good luck with both so far, ships pretty quick and if you don’t see a color you want just message or email.

https://www.roughcountry.com/chevy-...tml?find=2021-chevy-silverado-1500-4wd-750287
Tow hook to shackle conversion came from rough country, mount in factory tow hook location and can attach almost any d-ring shackle you want.

Shackles came from Amazon. Autmatch 3/4” mega shackles.

I completed nearly all of the wiring for off road LED lights, mounted on top of the cab. Don't yet have the special connector to tap into the fuse box, so I just used a 12V battery for tests. Went out on a mountain forest road tonight and compared the 60W LEDs to the stock headlights. The LED lights have a broad pattern, so they light up the sides of the road more than straight ahead. Combined with the high beam headlights, the LED lights are good for looking for deer, elk, etc.

I'll post photos and details in another thread.

I spend a lot of time in the city so my LED light bar is for avoiding homeless people and drunks😝

Last edited:
One thing leads to another......I crushed my chrome exhaust tips on a recent 4WD trip to Moab Ut. I replaced them with new ones in powder coated red. Once the chrome was gone from the tips it seemed to make blacking out the badges mandatory. OMG I'm geeking out way too much over this truck. Starting to wonder if there is a Trail Boss recovery group?View attachment 1598View attachment 1599View attachment 1600View attachment 1601

Steve
Where did you get the Z71 fender badge ?

Most Reactions

Back