What's new

What exhaust would you recommend?

NorCal

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am looking to get rid of the stock muffler on my 2021 5.3 Trail Boss. I am also looking to get rid of the resonators at the end of each pipe. I am trying to figure out what muffler to get, so that i get a nice deep sounding rumble, but with minimal drone in the cabin (something that wont get annoying on a road trip).

I was looking at the flowmaster 40 series, or possibly the FX, but have only YouTube to go off of. Looking to see what you all may have done and could recommend.

Last edited:
I installed a flow master 40 on mine today and I’m taking it back in tomorrow to put something else on. It is obnoxiously loud in the cab. My personal opinion though

I went with a Flowmaster Super 50 53055. First, I put a Flowmaster FlowFX on but it was way too loud on the highway. The Super 50 is perfect. Louder than stock and just a nice low rumble at highway speeds that isn't noticeable if you have the radio on.

I left the resonators on the rear.

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get rid of the stock muffler on my 2021 5.3 Trail Boss. I am also looking to get rid of the resonators at the end of each pipe. I am trying to figure out what muffler to get, so that i get a nice deep sounding rumble, but with minimal drone in the cabin (something that wont get annoying on a road trip).

I was looking at the flowmaster 40 series, or possibly the FX, but have only YouTube to go off of. Looking to see what you all may have done and could recommend.
I went with a Flowmaster Super 50 53055. First, I put a Flowmaster FlowFX on but it was way too loud on the highway. The Super 50 is perfect. Louder than stock and just a nice low rumble at highway speeds that isn't noticeable if you have the radio on.

I left the resonators on the rear.
I installed a Rough Country Dual Cat exhaust and love it

I also installed the Rough Country, love it. And the price is even better!

It does, I think any after market will. For me it’s not that bad. I can still hold a conversation with someone in the vehicle. Not bad at cruising speed. I notice it more when I’m climbing up steep grades.

It does, I think any after market will. For me it’s not that bad. I can still hold a conversation with someone in the vehicle. Not bad at cruising speed. I notice it more when I’m climbing up steep grades.
I am wondering if I put the stock muffler on and cut the resonators off the back of it will give it a nice sound

Not sure! But I bet if you dig around enough, someone has probably done it.

I swapped out the stock muffler with a Flowmaster Super 10. Left the resonators on and it sounds great. Nice rumble start and no cab drone at all.

5.3, 10 speed. I had a 40 series on my last truck and it was too quiet, louder than the stock, but the 10 sounds much better. I was a little skeptical about putting a 10 on, because my nephew’s dodge had a ton of drone in the cab. The resonators really take the noise out, which is the reason I left them on.

Most Reactions

Back