What's new

What is that noise?

TWyatt

Reaction score
I just picked up a new-to-me 2020 5.3 Trail Boss. 37k miles. When driving it, somewhere in the 25-35mph range, it always sounds like a dang helicopter under the hood. Doesn't really do it above or below that speed, so it makes me think it's not the bigger tires (that I'm not use to yet), but I don't really want to pay a $160 diagnostic fee if it's something normal that I'm just not use to, so I figured I'd check here first. Seems like right around that 30mph area, letting off the gas, or maintaining that general speed, the truck sounds like a helicopter. I don't know how else to describe it, but similar to what you'd hear with big 38" mud tires going down the road, and loud enough to be annoying and make it tough to hear the radio or my phone. It doesn't drive strange, feel strange, just sounds loud.

Yes, original Duratracs. I guess it certainly could be them, just odd that it's so much more pronounced at that 25-30mph range.

Mine sound like a bad wheel bearing, been that way since I drove it off the lot. From about 30mph and up they really hum.

Reactions: JBJ
I got that helicopter sound when the dfm was engaging. I installed my exhaust and that made it worse. It was only after I installed my pulsar lt and disabled dfm that it went away.

I got that helicopter sound when the dfm was engaging. I installed my exhaust and that made it worse. It was only after I installed my pulsar lt and disabled dfm that it went away.
Agreed, I am guessing it is his DFM while activated.

I am about 3 weeks in on a 2020 TB with original duratracs and they are terrible!! Worst sound is right in that speed range, especially when coasting. Almost like they hit a resonance.

Sounds like it may be tires and or the DFM. If so, I can live with that. I just wanted to make sure nothing was actually wrong, and feel better now knowing I'm not the only one. I just had a hard time believing the tires would put out that loud, low pitched frequency just in that small speed range, and why would the DFM be engaging at 25-35mph? I assumed that was for dropping cylinders going down the highway to save fuel. Not around town coasting at 30mph.
Regardless, I feel better knowing nothing is actually wrong with the truck. I can live with the noise if that's just what they sound like. I still have my '08 Z71 with the 5.3 and AFM and same size tires (not Duratracs) and it's quiet as a mouse, so to get into a much newer, nicer truck and it be deafeningly loud was just concerning. I know what big tires sound like going down the road, and can hear these Duratracs humming, but the sound doubles/changes frequency in that small window of speed range.

its most likely the stock tires. mine didnt make much noise until around the 35k mile mark. by the time i hit 50k miles the sound was deafening at 60-70mph.

the new toyos are super quiet compared to the stock tires.

It is the Duratracs. I laugh though on why everyone is against the Duratacs. Like I stated before, if you don't like tire road noise maybe shouldn't......... and could get by with a sedan. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Will I buy them again? Maybe not as I will be going to 37's. And guess what? I will probably still have tire road noise when on the road based on what I bought the Trail boss for.

Other than the tire noise I don’t see why people complain about the Duratracs. I like them. They’re aggressive, never have an issue with traction. Closing in on 20k and plenty of tread. I’d buy them again.

Most Reactions

Back