What's new

What is the best oil to use in 2020 Trailboss or does it really matter???

bwhite4363

Reaction score
I know the Trailboss is supposed to use dexos 0w-20 full synthetic oil but does the brand really matter? Ive read that to meet the dexos requirement which allows them to stamp it on their bottles that the manufacture has to meet alot of guidelines to be approved. Atwoods has Harvest King for cheap, Mobile 1, AC Delco, Amsoil all higher but does it matter as long as it has the dexos stamp? Just curiosity really.

As long as it’s Dexos spec and the proper weight, 0w20, I don’t think it matters. 5000 miles max intervals with an approved oil will treat your TB right. Good luck-

Any 0-20 or 5-20 Dexos approved oil will work fine in our trucks… I mainly run Castrol, but I have been since the 80’S.. With any brand oil, the change interval is the MOST important thing with any brand..

was using Mobile 1. Did the last 2 oil changes with Amsoil (it was a gift).

Time for another change, only have Mobile 1 on hand......wondering if i should stick with Amsoil now, or ok to use Mobile 1 again.....who knows.....

great MPG with the Amsoil btw

The Dexos certification is the most important. But to me, I think it is worth it to put in good oils and fuels. Pricey truck, and that motor will last longer if you do. I was using Royal Purple's full synthetic for a while, and it is a great oil especially in high-heat situations. But I was researching that it isn't the best protection on sub zero cold starts. And I seem to encounter those situations in my area more than racing-level heat situations. That research had me switch to Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic. I also use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter, and I still change both at 5,000 miles.

I always go to my Chevrolet dealer. I get documentation that the oil was changed. And also got a $10 off coupon for life of the truck. Again I agree with the 5000 mile intervals for oil changes as previous mention in the post.
I time my oil changes based on the oil life % indicator in the speedometer cluster........the oil is usually pretty damn black at that point......interestingly, I'm at 91k miles on my 19 TB and almost never have to top it off between oil changes....maybe a 1/4 of a quart towards the end of the cycle, but thats it.

I had on 02 Tahoe I drove to about 300k miles before the TB.....same 5.3 liter V8....had to add oil more often for sure, but damn I drove the piss out of that thing and its just kept going......replaced water pump, power steering pump, ac belt, clogged fuel injector.....stuff like that....pretty easy to work on, especially for someone like me who doesn't know much about cars

I believe the following to be true. GM asks you to use 0-20 with Dexos because it has tracers in it. It is my understanding if you do not use oil without Dexos in it your warranty is void if engine fails. Apparently they look for the tracers in your engine and if none you lose is my understanding. Could be wrong but this is what I was told.

Ideally analyze the oil first then find the sweet spot for lubricant choices. Every engine is like a fingerprint and using a hand in glove approach can save the engine, get better combustion efficiency, better MPG, and drive smoother. I worked for 45 years as a lubricant and fuels analyst/tribologist. Since I retired I partnered with a friend who is also a disabled military vet like me to market what I used to offer. ISO CERTIFIED OIL ANALYSIS from Nick Mikitka here: Note he is an Amsoil dealer but offers this service exclusively since I retired. He will not steer you to Amsoil or any brand but allow you to decide based on data. He's like me, use what works for the best value and price.

Nick Mikitka
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Synthetic Advantage LLC
email: [email protected]
Phone: 910-290-2371

I'm running Havoline Pro-Rs Bio Synthetic 5w30 in the 24,000 miles on my L3B 2.7 Turbo Custom since I saw oil consumption using Amsoil Signature Series 5w30. I suspect the oil control rings got just enough ash deposits that they allowed about a qt in 6000-7000 miles. The Havoline has about 30% estolides biosyn base oil that cleans well. So far at 3200 miles its not using a drop. I drive like a grandpa but I live at 9000' msl in Colorado and I am in 4WD alot because we live on trails up here with snow, mud, ice a 9 mo a year reality.

For you owners that refuse to sample run a DEXOS1 GEN 3 product. The havoline I mention above is a GEN 2 but it did not submit for a GEN license but would pass based on what I am seeing in testing and oil consumption slowing/stopping so far.

I owned my own company and was trained in USN, USA, and Cummins so I have been living better living through chemistry a long time.

More important than engine oil is fuel. More ethanol the better. E15 here is only 86 octane but I run that constantly in the L3B with a tailpipe that's all water no carbon soot from the DI engine.

The Amsoil OE is a Dexos Gen 3 compatible formula and eventually I might go back to that.

Mobil Full Synthetic ( NOT Mobil1) GEN 3 is a sleeper formulation at a good price. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are good formulations.

Any Dexos1 GEN 3 will have more real synthetic and lower sulfated ash content so you don't make deposits in any of our engines. Note NOTHING will stop defective valve train components in the 6.2 or 5.3 so all you'll do is delay the inevitable with the engine oil being better, fuel dilution of our engine s is a real thing and interrupts the oil ability to protect the crappy V8 valve-train alloys for many of the Trail Boss and other GM trucks. In the V8's the Amsoil Signature Series does help the valvetrain issues but generally won't stop it if you get defective alloys.

I believe the following to be true. GM asks you to use 0-20 with Dexos because it has tracers in it. It is my understanding if you do not use oil without Dexos in it your warranty is void if engine fails. Apparently they look for the tracers in your engine and if none you lose is my understanding. Could be wrong but this is what I was told.
I still do some forensic analysis and they would hire me to dig that deep, trust me GM doesn't want to pay me.....LOL A dealer or regional mgr might BS that way but unless its outright fraud I doubt GM pays that anymore. Most licensed engine oils that are DEXOS1 GEN 2 or 3 have very similar add packs the difference is the base oils cut.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back