What's new

Wheel Offset

btraubel22

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just installed the RC 1.5 level kit on my TB, and am looking to stance it out a bit, cant seem to figure out how offset works (even through multiple youtube videos). seems to be pretty simple until i start looking at wheels and some of them with a +1 offset look like they would stance the same as some of the wheels with a -12 or - 18 offset.

Anyone have any recommendations on this?

Thanks!

A rim with a +1 offset would be equivalent to a 1" spacer behind the factory wheel. I have 1.25" spacers behind my factory wheels. The wheels poke out about 1/4". This combo would be equivalent to a -6 offset rim. A set of 1.5" spacers should push the factory wheels about .5" out and would be equivalent to a -12 offset rim. You can keep this pattern going. Technically 12.5mm is equal to .5" and 6.375mm is equal to .25" but for estimating the amount of poke this will be close enough if you just consider every 6mm as .25".

Last edited:
A rim with a +1 offset would be equivalent to a 1" spacer behind the factory wheel. I have 1.25" spacers behind my factory wheels. The wheels poke out about 1/4". This combo would be equivalent to a -6 offset rim. A set of 1.5" spacers should push the factory wheels about .5" out and would be equivalent to a -12 offset rim.
thanks!!

i've read, and heard that spacers can be damaging to the hubs and bearings etc, have you had any issues?

295/70/18 no spacer
B8EB7C04-FFE3-4CC1-8754-A44A3EA91EEA.jpeg

With 1.5in spacer
ED83AE9F-ADF5-496A-B299-7362ED7E76C9.jpeg

Spacers in theory place the same additional torque on your hubs as an equally offset wheel would do. Both are moving the tire "out".

The great debate is "are spacers safe". I run 2" on factory wheels and have zero issues (so far).

Appreciate the info! i think i'll go with the spacers for now. any recommendations?

Spacers in theory place the same additional torque on your hubs as an equally offset wheel would do. Both are moving the tire "out".

The great debate is "are spacers safe". I run 2" on factory wheels and have zero issues (so far).
how many miles have you put on them? have a mechanic buddy who swears he would never put them on a daily driver.

Appreciate the info! i think i'll go with the spacers for now. any recommendations?
Get hub centric spacers. Bora brand is the most reputable. Don’t get the cheap ones you find eBay that are not hub centric. Very important.

I don’t see anything in their description about being hub centric. Watch this video.
I have 1.5” bora spacers on my factory 20” wheel. Gives it about 0.5” poke. I have no concerns about my wheels falling off.

I have 1.5 spacers and love the look. No issues and have been a few thousand miles. As mentioned above make sure they’re hub centric, not a cheap no named brand, and torque them to spec.

Any name brand is fine. Just don’t get the cheapest on ebay😝. Ok to cheap out on cosmetics but not things that can break off and kill you😬.
I rotate my tires when I change my oil and torque the spacer lugs too👍

Just ordered the Bora's. Thanks for all the help!

I run 2" HC. Once bolted on and torqued correctly, no worries. I have about 5700 on mine since install. Checked x2 out of curiosity. All lugs secured both times. Added wear over factory? Probably. Is the wear significant? We'll see at 50,000. Dangerous? No more than big offset wheels if installed properly. Look good? Nope, looks badass.

Attachments

• 20210906_150701.jpg
    20210906_150701.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 517
  • 20210801_184107.jpg
    20210801_184107.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 515

Most Reactions

Back