What's new

Will clamps add any sound?

BigBadChevyMN

Reaction score
So I know I will probably be laughed at but I saw on another thread that people used metal clamps to lock the flapper in front of the muffler on the 5.3L's in the open position as well as cover the mesh screens in the rear next to the exhaust tips and spare tire and noted they had a small but noticeable increase in sound from their trucks.

I installed everything last night and didn't have any audible difference at least to me. Cold start sounded good but after a few seconds it went back down to idle and didn't seem any louder than it did before (stock).

Any thoughts or any else try this?

My main thing is I want more sound out of the exhaust but to much that it's obnoxious in my neighborhood or to the wife.

PXL_20211007_005841223.jpg
PXL_20211007_005859201.jpg
PXL_20211007_005904847.jpg

So I know I will probably be laughed at but I saw on another thread that people used metal clamps to lock the flapper in front of the muffler on the 5.3L's in the open position as well as cover the mesh screens in the rear next to the exhaust tips and spare tire and noted they had a small but noticeable increase in sound from their trucks.

I installed everything last night and didn't have any audible difference at least to me. Cold start sounded good but after a few seconds it went back down to idle and didn't seem any louder than it did before (stock).

My main thing is I want more sound out of the exhaust but to much that it's obnoxious in my neighborhood or to the wife.

View attachment 1842View attachment 1843View attachment 1844
Nobody replied,surprising. I imagine you've done more by now but if not. I deleted my muffler (straight piped about $100-120 and locked open the flapper. I also have an S&B CAI. Much more throaty and a bit louder, cold starts are a thunder !

I haven't tried to lock open the flapper yet but I just covered my resonators with high-temp tape and noticed a very slight change in the tone. It's a tiny bit deeper, maybe I'm just hearings things hoping my cheapo exhaust upgrade is actually doing something. 😁

Attachments

• 20230514_102618.jpg
    20230514_102618.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 26
I would recommend starting with the locked open flapper then try muffler delete, then if too loud, muffler !

Last edited:

View attachment 1842View attachment 1843View attachment 1844
When I did this i didn't notice much of a difference. I ended up doing the muffler delete and removed that flapper, and it was loud.... way too loud for the wife. So ended up buying a Borla 40359 muffler and got that welded in by my local shop for pretty cheap. Love the sound. My buddy with a F-150 loves how it sounds wants to get the same muffler now.

Clamping the flapper open and covering the resonators will increase the volume and affect the tone of the exhaust, but you stand a good chance of getting drone if you have AFM or DFM. If you start to experience drone(helicopter chop as well), expose one of the resonators and that will usually solve the issue.

When I did this i didn't notice much of a difference. I ended up doing the muffler delete and removed that flapper, and it was loud.... way too loud for the wife. So ended up buying a Borla 40359 muffler and got that welded in by my local shop for pretty cheap. Love the sound. My buddy with a F-150 loves how it sounds wants to get the same muffler now.
I think I might go this route as well. I would really like to go with the muffler delete but really afraid of it being to loud... I want a nice growl but not over the top....

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back