What's new

Duratrac question

I heve several posts documenting my Duratrack problems. I have punctured 4 sidewalls. I run them hard under all kinds of tough conditions and they cant take it. Traction off road is amazing, they work well. But the week sidewalls is where the problem is. They are well known for it. This is my 6th 4wd vehicle. I have never blown out a sidewall before. Now I have punctured 4 in two years. It doesn't take much, just a rock scrape or a branch and they are done.

There is very little trolling on this board. That's why I stay active here. This is a great place to find good information from a bunch of good guys. I hope you stick around and enjoy the wealth of good information that is here. But hey, people have opinions, it's all good :)

I put 34,000 miles on the good years... I knew I was going bigger with a more all terrain tread because most of my driving is on road with the Trail Boss. Second set of tires is Falken Wild Peaks and I like them. The best off road tires I have ever owned were Pro Comp Extreme Mud Terrains and they were absolutely fantastic. They had great traction and aired down really nicely. Pro Comp has a really good warranty and super strong sidewall. If and when I have a purpose built off road vehicle again that is the tire I will go with. In the mean time the Trail Boss gets me to all the fishing holes I need. 🤙

I heve several posts documenting my Duratrack problems. I have punctured 4 sidewalls. I run them hard under all kinds of tough conditions and they cant take it. Traction off road is amazing, they work well. But the week sidewalls is where the problem is. They are well known for it. This is my 6th 4wd vehicle. I have never blown out a sidewall before. Now I have punctured 4 in two years. It doesn't take much, just a rock scrape or a branch and they are done.

There is very little trolling on this board. That's why I stay active here. This is a great place to find good information from a bunch of good guys. I hope you stick around and enjoy the wealth of good information that is here. But hey, people have opinions, it's all good :)
This is the information I was seeking. With the current prices on off road tires I really didn't want to fork out a bunch of $ if the Duratracs are worth keeping. I didn't know they had sidewall issues and I have always stuck with Pro Comps or BFG's to avoid this problem mostly because I had 3 sidewall blowouts in one trip going up the backside of Crown King that left us stranded overnight. Of coarse they were Dunlops so that should be expected! As far as the trolling issue, I suffer from short Italian guy's syndrome so I may have gotten a little too excited about the other guy's comments so Thanks!

I just pulled off the stock Dura's with 40 K ..... I replaced with same but LT295/65R18 ... I run them at 48 to 50 on the long runs to the Baja from PNW ..... on the hwy with the 6.2 I get exceptional mileage..... then air them down to 36 to 38...I drive on mostly rocky/gravel/dirt roads and single lane rock infested steep roads etc... as they get older they do hum a bit more but its a truck so... I can run at 70 to 75 mph on these roads washboarded up and decent corners, with the Rancho's .... these tires stick like crazy... in fact my buddy has a Silverado same set up but with BFG's, that truck doesn't hang in the corners like mine and loads up with mud/clay badly.... The BFG's are great tires on the road as well gravel roads but the Dura's BITE into corners better.... The BFG'S handle road's better in corners as well wet roads ... When I need tires are in the sand and after a torrential rainstorm when all you see is mud..side walls have never been an issue... I can safely say I push this truck harder than most ....If I didn't run in mud and sand I may look at something else... maybe the Falkens.. Just my 2 c's

Attachments

• IMG_5988.jpg
    IMG_5988.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 27
I bought my 2021 trailboss 6.2 with the stock territory Mt on them with 28000 miles on the truck. Not sure what kind of driving the previous owner did in northern Michigan, but they were shot. I purchased the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's as the replacement. Have not tried out off road other than a little mud and farm field driving, but they are silent on the road and look like an aggressive MT.

Those Mickey's are going to be screaming when you hit 20k. Plus they're among the heaviest tires available in their class.

One of the biggest issues with the whole tire debate is that everyone compares their old 20k+ mile tires to brand new ones and says "OMG they're so much quieter!!!". Of course they are, they're brand new. R/Ts and M/Ts start to get real loud around the 20k mark. Even Duratracs are pretty quiet when new...but by 20k you can't stand to keep the windows open on the highway. I've yet to find an aggressive tread R/T-type tire that isn't like that. Some are quieter than others - like the Nitto RG's currently on my wife's Wrangler, definitely quieter than my Duratracs but still a LONG way from quiet - but all are still loud.

This is my first set of Duratracs and like everyone else I've been very impressed with their performance. I've had them in a lot of heavy snow in Montana and in the Sierra in California, their performance this past winter in the Sierra was phenomenal. I've also had good experience with them in mud terrain. They are noisy but I've gotten used to it and the noise doesn't bother me considering the performance that I get out of them in adverse conditions. It's going to come down to personal decision do you want a quiet truck tires, or you going to use the truck for what is designed for and go for optimum grip in adverse conditions?

10,000 miles on mine so far they’ve been great. (rain,snow, mud, towing) I have been so shocked by so many reviews and people saying the duratracs are so loud, I find them extremely quiet! (one of the quietest tires I’ve ever used but that’s because I’m used to driving on toyo r888rs or other r compound performance tires.) 😂😂

10,000 miles on mine so far they’ve been great. (rain,snow, mud, towing) I have been so shocked by so many reviews and people saying the duratracs are so loud, I find them extremely quiet! (one of the quietest tires I’ve ever used but that’s because I’m used to driving on toyo r888rs or other r compound performance tires.) 😂😂

Just wait. They're pretty quiet when they're new. Most R/Ts and M/Ts are like that. Once you start approaching the 20k mile mark you'll know what everyone's talking about.

Sold my 4 Duratracs after 47000 miles of use, still had probably 20,000 miles of use remaining. Replaced with E rated Firestone WinterForce LT snow tires of same size with 19/32 of tread. What a difference in driving capability up here in snow and ice. They even work great in mud and sand. Less 4WD needed and more stable. The 3 M P rating really makes a difference and being a dedicated snow tire. Decided on these because of Discount tire certificates and read other high rangers like us living on rock and gravel roads these tires wear well even year round. Quieter and smoother. Running same 41 PSI @ 50 F.

Most Reactions

Back