What's new

Engine Coolant Flow Control Valve

OffWhtTB

Reaction score
2022 LT Trailboss with 3.0L, about 19k miles.

About three weeks ago my CEL came on and my engine fan started running on high on most but not all of my trips. The temp gauge never rose. I had an oil change scheduled for a couple days later so I just let it sit and drove cautiously to the dealership.

Turns out there is a bad engine coolant control valve (GM 24001355) and apparently this is an issue they are seeing with the 3.0L engines. So much so that other dealers with the part are unwilling to sell it to my dealer because they know they will need it.

The tech swears it is okay to continue to drive it. He said the fan running on high is a safety measure because the system doesn’t know the temp of the engine. The Reduced Acceleration safety measure has also started which is a pain on the highway but again is apparently safety measure by the system to keep the “unknown” temp down. As much as they promise me there is no concern with driving it, they refuse to put it in writing.

I tried getting GM involved and they provided the same response, “the part is on back order with no ETA.” I’m pissed that they won’t do anything but not sure what else I can do at this point.

Just giving everyone with the 3.0 a heads up.

I was able to get it fixed about a week ago. I did a Google search for email addresses for GM’s CEO, Head of Customer Service and Head of Customer Experienced I expressed my frustrations and my concerns and they ended up finding a part and overnighting it to my dealer. The service manager complimented me on my email, without reading it, as I was only the second customer he knows of to get such a quick response by going that route. So far the truck is running great.

Thanks for the information my truck is currently at the dealership now waiting on the same part for about a week.

Thanks for the information my truck is currently at the dealership now waiting on the same part for about a week.
I guess a better answer for you. It went in on February 16th and was fixed a week ago after my escalation email. I did drive it during that time.

Oh wow that’s makes more sense luckily my dealership gave me a loaner but agreed it’s frustrating as it end in sight for my truck at this point

I had the same issue, 2022 with 20,000 miles. Took it in mid- February and got the part replaced this week. I did get a rental paid for by GM. I tried to drive it but told them I needed a rental when it went into the reduced acceleration mode. The worst part was I have noticed a coolant smell and told them to pressure test the system in Feb. The claim they did a no issues. After replacing the coolant control valve they now claim they found a small leak in the radiator.......and that part is on backorder!

Actually… I got out of my truck today and thought I smelled coolant burning. I’m going to have to keep an eye/nose on this.

Mine was a very small hole in the seam of the radiator. I can smell it every time I shut it off in the garage.

I have the same issue with a faulty engine coolant control valve. It is being replaced as we speak under warranty. My concern is the warranty is almost up and pray no further related (or unrelated) issues creep up. How did a new engine control valve work for everyone? Any other issues after it was replaced other than coolant leak(s)? I would like to get ahead of any additional issues before warranty expires.

Most Reactions

Back