What's new

Muffler swap

how bad is the drone with the muffler delete pipe?

On MY 6.2, the drone is not bad at all...i notice it most on the interstate at speed (80 ish), but only notice it when i use the phone through the vehicle. it is just enough, that is make sit tough to understand a few people...crank the volume more, and it is less noticeable, but it is there

to me, honestly...it is more of a less refined exhaust note, than a drone. a muffler with define the tone better

I have not noticed any drone with my 5.3. Now granted my 35's make some roaring at speeds between 10-50ish mph. Also the K&N cold air add a "snarl" with low RPM ramp ups. Overall, in my opinion, it sounds great at any RPM and speed and definitely improves the responsiveness of the 5.3 in every day driving. Worst case you can always put a muffler back on but do seriously consider totally removing the flapper valve. Any muffler shop can take care of that. I was very surprised by the weight and stiffness of the valve.

Day 3 of ownership back in 2021 when I picked it up new off the dealer lot. You can see the flapper itself on top of the MASSIVE stock muffler.

Attachments

• IMG_20210526_225502.jpg
    IMG_20210526_225502.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 41
how bad is the drone with the muffler delete pipe?
2019 5.3 on 35s. muffler delete pipe, flapper (in front of the muffler) is locked open, S&B CAI. Cold starts are aggressive and loud but eases down quickly. I don't notice much if it's there. I went the cheapest route first to see if it was too much. I stuck with my set-up

Hey ya’ll. I bought a 2022 TB 5.3L and absolutely hate this stock exhaust as all of us do. I still have a bit of factory warranty left in addition to an extended warranty I purchased, so I’m not sure how this works with respect to doing cat back, delete’s, etc. this is my daily driver. I like the throaty sound but no drone or severe droning, but don’t want to be aggressive. Can anyone tell me what to avoid? Thanks ya’ll

Hey ya’ll. I bought a 2022 TB 5.3L and absolutely hate this stock exhaust as all of us do. I still have a bit of factory warranty left in addition to an extended warranty I purchased, so I’m not sure how this works with respect to doing cat back, delete’s, etc. this is my daily driver. I like the throaty sound but no drone or severe droning, but don’t want to be aggressive. Can anyone tell me what to avoid? Thanks ya’ll
Borla S-type cat back, loud cold start, good rumble when accelerating, zero drone, and quiet as stock when cruising on the highway. It comes with black quad tips so you can get rid or the chrome usb port tips.

AFE Apollo GT muffler, $236 direct but should be a little cheaper on other sites. Gives it a nice throaty tone, not overly loud and I'm thoroughly pleased with it. I cut the flapper off and barely had enough length, so if you go this route cut off no more than you have to. (extension pipe is included) Not a super snug fit, so you have to really tighten down the clamps. You'll probably knock off about 10 lbs of weight too as the factory muffler is much larger.
Hey. Any drone in cabin at cruising speed?

I have the 6.2/active exhaust on my ‘24 and I’ll be doing a muffler swap in the near future. I’m hearing/reading that AWE is the only system that has valve simulator figured out to not throw codes, and I’m not prepared to drop $2k on a full system, so I’m planning on a single in, dual out, replacement and reusing the active valve. We’ll see how it works out.
Well this ought to be interesting… the new muffler came today and will be going on Thursday morning. I’ll be keeping the “active” valve on one of the outlet pipes. Hope to report back with pics and a video or two.

Attachments

• IMG_2328.jpeg
    IMG_2328.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 10
i have been pondering 2 options...
1. True dual, with short bullet style mufflers (magna flo)
2. a short bullet, in place of each resonator and leave the current delete pipe

the dual short bullets in 4", sound really good behind a hot LS, should be decent behind the LT 6.2

Most Reactions

Back