What's new

Powerstop vs OEM brakes

cletour

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the powerstop rotor and pad kit below? This kit is supposed to be geared towards towing and oversized tires. I am wondering if others can vouch if they are any better than OEM? I also see ac delco has a gold line, which appears to be an upgrade over OEM.

I haven’t seen any braking posts at all on this forum. Possibly because the TB model is only a few years old and the majority of owners are still on the original pads and rotors. Probably more info on a Silverado/Sierra forum👍

Before I would spend the money I think the real qustion is are the OEM brakes perfectly functional? I tow a 7,500 lb TT a lot. I am perfectly comfortable with the OEM brakes. Also, my 10 speed transmission has taken downhill towing to a whole new level. I rarely touch the bakes, even on steep grade. If it works don't fix it.

Steve

I have looked into those myself, I tow 7000-8000 pounds all the time during the warmer months… I never had problems with the oem brakes. Did have to replace front pads At around 52000 miles and had the rear replaced at 60K.. When the rotors need replacing I will definitely try something aftermarket..

Attachments

• 9294C821-6D38-44DB-B953-B0A1957CD242.jpeg
    9294C821-6D38-44DB-B953-B0A1957CD242.jpeg
    710.9 KB · Views: 40
  • CF0B6A69-70FB-4068-A5BC-1E5DB9963416.jpeg
    CF0B6A69-70FB-4068-A5BC-1E5DB9963416.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 39
Anyone have experience with the powerstop rotor and pad kit below? This kit is supposed to be geared towards towing and oversized tires. I am wondering if others can vouch if they are any better than OEM? I also see ac delco has a gold line, which appears to be an upgrade over OEM.

I used them on a '04 2500hd I use to have definitely worth the money.

Hoping to revive this thread rather than start a new one.

I need to replace my rear brake pads. Vehicle only has 27k miles. I may just be a bad driver, or it may be that the vehicle spends >90% of its life on windy dirt and country roads (LTD avg MPH is 31 — tbf this includes idling time). My wife is heavily in the camp that I am just a bad driver. I am fairly confident that it is not the mechanic pulling a fast one on me.

Full disclosure, I am kind of a ‘while we are at it’ type guy. So I am wondering if I am supposed to use this as an opportunity to upgrade the brakes to Powerstop all around? The reviews I have seen on them are all quite positive. I do not do too much towing, and when I do it is a European horse trailer designed to be pulled behind a car (not a lot of recreational trucks over in Europe), so I cannot justify the upgrade for towing needs. But I also could not justify the lift with my usual driving conditions.

I went onto Summit to look at the Powerstop packages and found the number of SKUs to be overwhelming. Has anyone does this upgrade and have advice they are willing to share?

I ran powerstop on my 2017 burb, with 34" tires...HUGE difference, highly recommend the rotor/pad combo...and will being swapping this truck to them

I ran powerstop on my 2017 burb, with 34" tires...HUGE difference, highly recommend the rotor/pad combo...and will being swapping this truck to them
This is the kit I am looking at. It is the word ‘extreme’ that has me questioning if this is too much in an unsafe or inappropriate for my vehicle and use manner.

PowerStop Z36 Extreme Truck and Tow 6-Lug Brake Rotor and Pad Kit; Front and Rear​

What lift do you have on it? I keep threatening my wife that I am going to put a level and bigger tires on her Tahoe when the KO2’s are ready to be replaced.

that was a ready lift, 2.5F / 1R and I did the upper arms as well.
GM 22x9 ( I think they were 28mm offset, stock GM 22 )with a 285-50-22 Toyo AT3
also trimmed the "WINGS" off the lower valance.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back