What's new

Range Technology RA003 AFM/DFM Disabler

XRedJar

Reaction score
I wanted to find out straight from the source if this product worked for the 5.3 / 10spd trans in the 2020 Silverado Trail Boss.

My initial inquiry to Range Customer Support:
"I see the note it will not work for the 6.2/10spd, but nothing definitive that it will/won’t work on the 5.3/10spd."

Range Customer Support response:
"The RA003 units should work fine for the 5.3L 10 speeds."

This is an electronic device, it either will or it won't. There should be no "should" in their response. Which led to my reply:
"I guess I'm looking for a more concrete answer than "should". Before I spend my money on a part that controls critical engine functions, I'd like to know it will or won't work by design."

Range Customer Support response:
"We have many customers that run the product in there 5.3L 10 speed vehicles and have had great results. The RA003 units do support the 5.3L vehicles with the 10 speed transmissions."

Still no definitive answer.

Being an optimist, I bought their RA003B product from Amazon (they had next day shipping). After using it for less than a week, some days the Auto-Stop Disable feature would work, and some days not. Solid state electronic devices should not do this.

The other issue I have with this Range product is that nowhere on the product's website does it state you need to remove the product when not in use to prevent battery drain. This warning is on the package. Almost like they are worried that might turn folks off from buying their product.

I can't say as I noticed a difference in driving the truck with/without the device installed. Maybe I got a defective one, maybe they don't test much in house and rely on owners to report problems.

Buyer beware is the best advice I can give based on my experience.

I couldn’t get a straight answer out of them either. I spent the money on the pulsar LT because it specifically mentions the 5.3 with the 10 speed

I couldn’t get a straight answer out of them either. I spent the money on the pulsar LT because it specifically mentions the 5.3 with the 10 speed

I saw the Pulsar LT also, but looking at the installation, it kind of turned me off. Have you installed yours yet?

Yeah I installed it. It’s actually really easy to do. I struggled with separation of the connectors until I figured out the release tab in the instructions, isn’t the one that releases the connections. But, none the less, it works!

I put a video in the what did you do to your trail boss today thread.

I would recommend upgrading the Velcro it came with. Scotch makes a Velcro that has plastic hook and loops. It’s super strong and holds 100 times better.

Yeah I installed it. It’s actually really easy to do. I struggled with separation of the connectors until I figured out the release tab in the instructions, isn’t the one that releases the connections. But, none the less, it works!

I put a video in the what did you do to your trail boss today thread.

I would recommend upgrading the Velcro it came with. Scotch makes a Velcro that has plastic hook and loops. It’s super strong and holds 100 times better.

Thanks and I'll go check out your video. I was hoping Trifecta would have a tune for the truck, but they don't have an ETA on when they will.

GM has their ECMs locked up tight, It’s super annoying lolBut I’m sure that as time goes by, companies will find a way to get around them.
But for an easy fix, something like range is a good thing. It just tells the ECM to do stuff and can be taken out any time.

the Velcro looks like this, comes in black too.
610E5F5C-3F2D-4543-AEC9-1DD11E117FDB.jpeg

I installed my Pulsar LT yesterday, super easy to install and it got rid of the worthless auto start/stop and the DFM. Not to mention the throttle response adjustment is great. I had a Pedal commander on there before and no longer need it with this unit. Super happy with it. It should have come from the factory like this!

I played with the adjustment today.. Its amazing how you can do it on the fly. I put it at 50 in a snow covered parking lot, but I wasn't going to be leaving the parking lot anytime soon. So I settled at 30 so I could accelerate. I am loving it!

Yeah its pretty sweet...setting 50 is ridiculously responsive. Think mines at 30 too. I have a muffler so the sound fix alone is worth it without the dfm.

Perhaps next time....it was a requirement for me but I've heard the 10spd did alot for the 5.3....ive owned half a dozen or so 5.3 haha. Need your cold air intake now

Just make sure that those with the Pulsar LT installed. You need to disconnect it when you do your smog check for your state registration. I'm in California and I heard YouTuber "Lonestar Hawaiian" failed his DMV inspection in Texas. Once you pass your inspection you can reinstall it and re set it up. Once you unplug the Pulsar LT all settings revert back to stock after you drive your truck around.

I dont know if this is the right place to list this but I have a pulsar LT for sale only used a couple months asking 425.00 shipped nothing wrong with it i guess im getting old cause I'm Happy with the way mine is stock anyway comes with box instructions its part # 22451 for a 2021 5.3 chevy with 10 spd pm if interested

Most Reactions

Back