What's new

Upper control arm

Jonmc1

Reaction score
I have a 2019 trail boss with 84 thousand miles on it. About two and a half years ago, when the truck had less than 60 thousand miles on it, the passenger side upper control arm failed while I was driving about 3 to 4 miles an hour in a parking lot.

Today, the driver side upper control arm failed while I traversed a railroad crossing. I was traveling about 10 miles per hour when it failed. My kids were with me this time.

On top of all that, my transmission has apparently taken on a mind of it’s own with all the slipping and shimmying.

I’m asking a serious question. Is this truck a piece of shit death trap or what? This is the “Trail Boss” forum. Can’t imagine I’m the only one in here having these issues.

To reiterate, my kids were in the back seat for this failure.

My 2021 has had zero problems.
Is yours lifted or modified at all?

Your truck’s problems are not common on current Silverado platforms but unfortunately it happens 😑

Feeling like you can't trust your rig when hauling your kids around is very uneasy to say the least! In 2006 I bought a Power Wagon thinking it'd be the last truck I would ever need... It was my kid hauler too but ended up with electrical issues and the body felt like it was made from a Budweiser can. I traded it in for a 2005 suburban with much higher mileage but it was a great decision. Best kid hauler ever made. Even though it went through 2 transmissions in 10 years. No vehicle is trouble free forever. I think the trick is to find something you love and meets your needs best and then the failures are a bit more palatable. Maybe also opportunity to make upgrades.
My 2019 Trail Boss just hit 40K flawless miles and has been a close second favorite to the stealth bomber suburban that we donated to a school in Baja Mexico when it was in need of a 3rd transmission...

Best of luck to you! I miss those days of driving the kids around...it goes bye all too quick. 🤙

Thanks for the replies guys. We found this from the NHTSA:

I’ll follow up GM and let y’all know if I get anywhere with it.

Mr. Colieman:
I agree. It happens way too fast. After the failure, my daughter asked me if I was getting a new truck. I joked and told her the next truck I buy would probably be hers. She’s 9 now but feels like she was just a baby a week ago.

Thanks for the replies guys. We found this from the NHTSA:

I’ll follow up GM and let y’all know if I get anywhere with it.

Mr. Colieman:
I agree. It happens way too fast. After the failure, my daughter asked me if I was getting a new truck. I joked and told her the next truck I buy would probably be hers. She’s 9 now but feels like she was just a baby a week ago.
Hate that it happened and definitely hate it left you stranded, uneasy feelings to say the least. But, I don’t think that recall affects your bone stock trailboss. Those are for Tuscany and SCA (black widow) modified vehicles, neither of which applies to the trailboss.

I have a 2021 lifted truck with zero issues and has almost 50K on it. I push mine past the limits. Sorry to hear.

Hate that it happened and definitely hate it left you stranded, uneasy feelings to say the least. But, I don’t think that recall affects your bone stock trailboss. Those are for Tuscany and SCA (black widow) modified vehicles, neither of which applies to the trailboss.
I called GM before I saw your post and they said the same. Turns out you’re right. Doesn’t apply to my truck. They told me they could maybe do a “good will” repair but that I’d I have to pay for the tow to the dealership before confirming if they would do it.

II did the repair myself the first time and it wasn’t too painful. Definitely going aftermarket this time though.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tuscany and SCA issue.

I have a 2021 lifted truck with zero issues and has almost 50K on it. I push mine past the limits. Sorry to hear.
Thanks! Yeah I think it’s maybe just bad luck. I’m gonna get a set of forged aftermarket ones this time around since it’s the second time it’s happened. Haven’t decided on a brand but there’s a ton to choose from.

Don't count out the tubular design. Forged isn't absolutely necessary.

I have a 2019 trail boss with 84 thousand miles on it. About two and a half years ago, when the truck had less than 60 thousand miles on it, the passenger side upper control arm failed while I was driving about 3 to 4 miles an hour in a parking lot.

Today, the driver side upper control arm failed while I traversed a railroad crossing. I was traveling about 10 miles per hour when it failed. My kids were with me this time.

On top of all that, my transmission has apparently taken on a mind of it’s own with all the slipping and shimmying.

I’m asking a serious question. Is this truck a piece of shit death trap or what? This is the “Trail Boss” forum. Can’t imagine I’m the only one in here having these issues.

To reiterate, my kids were in the back seat for this failure.
the 6spd in my '19 TB will drop hard from 3rd to 2nd if i'm anything more than gentle. the 6spd i had in my '15 LTZ went out too. not really impressed with the Chevy 6spd's so far....

Thanks! Yeah I think it’s maybe just bad luck. I’m gonna get a set of forged aftermarket ones this time around since it’s the second time it’s happened. Haven’t decided on a brand but there’s a ton to choose from.
the Ball Joint itself is more of a concern to me. Look at the tubular arms with replaceable joints.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back