What's new

2.7L with bigger tires?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone is running 35s with a lift/level on a 2.7L turbo? And how is it?
I got a 2023 TB LT actually thinking of getting 295/70/18 today. they for sure fit based on extensive research I made over past 2 weeks.

on an unrelated note, how do you like the 2.7 turbo? it's got some power for sure

is yours really noisy? specially at lower rpm's? how do you deal with the noise? wonder if there is some kind of insulation to dampen the engine's noise.

I haven't noticed any noise! Mine is a 22 LTD but shouldn't be any different. Truck sounds like its struggling until the turbo kicks in lol
right, I guess that's what I was referring to.

I have had the 5.3 V8 and it honestly makes the truck feel too heavy,you have to really press on the gas for it to take off. so I decided for the turbo.

do you know of any DMF diabler/ I hate the idea of making a 4 cylinder use less than 4 cylinders at anytime.Nonsense.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and speculate that bigger tires won’t make that combo happy. As much as we all like to go bigger I don’t think the 2.7 is the motor for that.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and speculate that bigger tires won’t make that combo happy. As much as we all like to go bigger I don’t think the 2.7 is the motor for that.
What bases do you have to make that statement? The torque is greater than the V8.

Unless this is just your opinion please Lay out some facts to support your statement and better understand your perspective.

What bases do you have to make that statement? The torque is greater than the V8.

Unless this is just your opinion please Lay out some facts to support your statement and better understand your perspective.
Well, from experience with other vehicles I know that a bigger tire causes mileage and performance drop. Even with my 6.2 I noticed a little mileage loss going to 275’s. I just had 285/70-17’s put on my F-150 work truck with the 5.0. and my mileage took a big hit. I think that the size of the turbo 4 (2.7L) would make it harder to propel bigger tires thus my statement. You can be snarky all you want…but I think it’s a common sense statement that I made. But then, it’s your truck and you do what you want…just giving my thoughts.

Since you only have 5 posts you probably haven’t had much time to do much reading here, and if you had you’d see others that have shared the same thoughts.

Last edited:
Bigger tires always going to equal less MPG’S. However you stated
“ the 2.7 is not the motor for that”
Then no motor would be a good fit since all would loose some MPG’S.

Not sure what’s up with the snarky
Name calling.

This is a discussion forum about Trail Boss.

I encourage you to be more civil and less defensive, communicating in a professional and diplomatic manner does not mean snarky whatsoever.

Name calling.

I encourage you to be more civil and less defensive, communicating in a professional and diplomatic manner does not mean snarky whatsoever.
I’d put 37’s on it if I were you. That base motor can handle it just fine.

Name calling.

So how did your 295/70's go? Curious to hear the results.

I’d speculate that it gets less MPG and requires more throttle to accelerate at the same rate it did with the smaller tires.
A greater mass will require greater force for equal acceleration. The amount of force will need to be increased to
overcome the additional weight and higher gear ratio of the larger tires to equal that of the original smaller tires.
I learned this when I was 18 and put 38” tires on my 1979 Toyota with a 100hp 4cyl engine🤣.

I’d speculate that it gets less MPG and requires more throttle to accelerate at the same rate it did with the smaller tires.
A greater mass will require greater force for equal acceleration. The amount of force will need to be increased to
overcome the additional weight and higher gear ratio of the larger tires to equal that of the original smaller tires.
I learned this when I was 18 and put 38” tires on my 1979 Toyota with a 100hp 4cyl engine🤣.
You are correct. And that was what I basically was trying to say when he went all Forum Police on me. He Hasn’t been back since. Just wondering if he put them on, and how that crow tasted!

Luckily the speed limit was only 55 back then and it could only do that on level ground 🤣
579938B7-5302-4931-9AFD-DCB2B8C9D4C8.jpeg

Check out the angle on the front drive shaft to the differential 😬. Obviously no mechanical engineering scholarship in my future🤣

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back