What's new

6.2 Trial Boss engine rattle noise when accelerating hard.

6.2 Trail Boss

Reaction score
I have a 22 Silverado 6.2 Trail Boss which I love to drive. This is the most capable powerful truck I’ve owned. The issue is this rattle noise. At 1st I could hear it but wasn’t able to duplicate the problem so I just ignored it. I now have 13k mikes on it and finally realized it’s making this rattle type noice under hard acceleration when the transmission downshifts and I start to get on the peddle. It’s also happening when I’m at a cruising speed and there’s an incline and I give it a bit of gas. It almost sounds like a loose pulley, I even drove it with the AC off and the noice is still there. I came to the conclusion that it’s only happening under load. I took it to the dealer on Tuesday and went on a test drive with the service manager and tells me he couldn’t hear anything, but that his hearing is shot because he worked with loud machinery in his younger days. Took it in the following day and even made a video where you can clearly hear the rattle and emailed it to the service writer per his request. Only to get a call the following day to tell me there is no check engine light on and there is nothing they can do for the noice because there is no obvious or apparent part they can warranty out. Not to worry because I’m still under warranty and if the problem gets worse to bring back in. I told him I wasn’t happy with that but what should my next step be. He calmly said to call GM Customer Service and start a case, where they’ll just ask me to take it back to a certified GM dealer like them and that GM would probably send out a field engineer to try and figure it out. I just picked up my truck and the way they worded the repair order was could not duplicate the problem. Just disappointed with the dealer, I feel like they don’t want to bother with rattles, I get that, but I don’t want to be hearing this noice until something breaks. I’m just afraid of this getting worse or being stranded one day. Started a claim with GM, I’m waiting for a call from them at this moment. Let’s see how they handle my situation. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Agree with previous... Definitely use highest octane rated fuel in your area. The 6.2 has a high compression ratio and needs that rated fuel to not have detonation (knock or pinging) when under heavy load. If you still have the sound with high octane fuel have a tech ride along with you with a scan tool watching real time whats going on with the knock sensor and ignition timing. ECM should back off the timing when knock is detected by the sensor. Something could be out of normal and not turn on the MIL...

I have this sometimes and it drives me crazy thinking about what it is... I have no confidence the dealership would be able to reproduce or have any idea what to do with it / say normal operation, so not worth my time dealing with them.

To me it sounds like it is from the intake, made me think I should drop in a hi-flow filter and/or clean up the intake system (Airaid intake pipe - not necessarily entire system see example: https://www.chevyzr2.com/threads/zr2-airaid-airbox-jr-install.552/).

Presents itself in same situations as OP - i.e. hard pulls on an uphill on ramp, or if loaded up passing/accelerating under hard throttle.

Edit- and not a fuel issue. Only generally use Costco 93.

Curious... are you the original owner?

I put Shell/ BP/ Top Tier brand premium in 19 times out of 20. Sometimes off brand when I have to. Ethanol free when I can. I recently took a cross country trip and put 1 tank of regular in and within 10 miles started getting a rattle. I burnt out a few gallons and stopped to put in premium and a bottle of octane booster and the noise disappeared. I learned my lesson.

No less than premium for my 6.2. The cost is a few bucks per fill up but cheaper than taking it to the shop or replacing the engine.
If you’re not running premium, try that as others have said and see if that solves it for you.

Post your video so others can hear the noise. Also, what grade fuel are you using? Could be valve train if you are using less than premium octane, just my guess.
Post your video so others can hear the noise. Also, what grade fuel are you using? Could be valve train if you are using less than premium octane, just my guess.
I only use 91 octane. Can’t get heightened octane than that in California.
Curious... are you the original owner?
Yeah I am the original owner.
Post your video so others can hear the noise. Also, what grade fuel are you using? Could be valve train if you are using less than premium octane, just my

I have a 22 Silverado 6.2 Trail Boss which I love to drive. This is the most capable powerful truck I’ve owned. The issue is this rattle noise. At 1st I could hear it but wasn’t able to duplicate the problem so I just ignored it. I now have 13k mikes on it and finally realized it’s making this rattle type noice under hard acceleration when the transmission downshifts and I start to get on the peddle. It’s also happening when I’m at a cruising speed and there’s an incline and I give it a bit of gas. It almost sounds like a loose pulley, I even drove it with the AC off and the noice is still there. I came to the conclusion that it’s only happening under load. I took it to the dealer on Tuesday and went on a test drive with the service manager and tells me he couldn’t hear anything, but that his hearing is shot because he worked with loud machinery in his younger days. Took it in the following day and even made a video where you can clearly hear the rattle and emailed it to the service writer per his request. Only to get a call the following day to tell me there is no check engine light on and there is nothing they can do for the noice because there is no obvious or apparent part they can warranty out. Not to worry because I’m still under warranty and if the problem gets worse to bring back in. I told him I wasn’t happy with that but what should my next step be. He calmly said to call GM Customer Service and start a case, where they’ll just ask me to take it back to a certified GM dealer like them and that GM would probably send out a field engineer to try and figure it out. I just picked up my truck and the way they worded the repair order was could not duplicate the problem. Just disappointed with the dealer, I feel like they don’t want to bother with rattles, I get that, but I don’t want to be hearing this noice until something breaks. I’m just afraid of this getting worse or being stranded one day. Started a claim with GM, I’m waiting for a call from them at this moment. Let’s see how they handle my situation. Anyone else having a similar issue?
Same problem. Been happening for the last 4 months. Pretty much constant. Although seems Maybe not as bad when engine gets warmed up. Sounds like a mix between a lifter and exhaust leak. Sound coming from back of block, passenger side. No codes. Drives great. Sounds like shit. Got the same treatment from the fuck tards at the dealership.

High pressure fuel pump?

Oil pump?.....sound is less after pil change.

Been trying to figure this out for a while. Have my own scanner. No misfire issues.

I dunno man. If u figure it out please let me know.

I original owner. Only use detergent 91 fuel since I bought it. 5.3 L. Full synthetic AMSOIL....change it myself way before its due.

I removed and cleaned the throttle body. Replaced all plugs and wires....didn't make a damn bit of difference.

I hate Deon Sanders.

Im Worried the cam is getting chewed up.

Checked the oil.last time I changed it. Looks good, smells good..

Same problem. Been happening for the last 4 months. Pretty much constant. Although seems Maybe not as bad when engine gets warmed up. Sounds like a mix between a lifter and exhaust leak. Sound coming from back of block, passenger side. No codes. Drives great. Sounds like shit. Got the same treatment from the fuck tards at the dealership.

High pressure fuel pump?

Oil pump?.....sound is less after pil change.

Been trying to figure this out for a while. Have my own scanner. No misfire issues.

I dunno man. If u figure it out please let me know.
I’m taking it to another dealership now, per GM’s customer service request. I 1st got a call like 2 weeks ago and they claimed GM authorized and engine due to turbo failure. So I was like wait a second, you must be calling the wrong customer because there is no turbo on my truck. I asked for them to look into it again and please give me a call. Sure enough, they made a mistake and even called another dealer near me and helped get an appointment. I will update you all with the results soon.

late to the thread, but EVERY single LT motor i have driven,,,
hundreds of work fleet 5.3, 19 ZL1 camaro, and many more...

ALL HAVE A RATTLE, it is always written off as the injection system working.
we have hundreds of 16 and up trucks with 200K and running strong, some maybe on the fifth trans...but engines are running strong

late to the thread, but EVERY single LT motor i have driven,,,
hundreds of work fleet 5.3, 19 ZL1 camaro, and many more...

ALL HAVE A RATTLE, it is always written off as the injection system working.
we have hundreds of 16 and up trucks with 200K and running strong, some maybe on the fifth trans...but engines are running strong
Ridiculous.

So with the weather boomerang up and down a bit the past month, I have noticed that when it is cold out, I do not hear the noise that I remember. It really makes me think that this means it is somehow airbox related, and that warmer temps maybe have some plastic expand and rattle or something. Drives me nuts cause I can't trace it... Anyone notice anything similar?

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back