What's new

Exhaust options for minimal drone

Had a local shop cut my muffler and flapper valve out a couple days ago. He welded in a pipe and I have the resonators at the back taped over. I enjoy the sound now nothing to aggressive but a deeper growl and I personally don't notice the drone people mention. But then again I'm used to a 74 Chevy with a 350 running long tube headers with just enough pipe on the end to pass the cab.

I’ve read as many opinions as I could and watched all the YouTube videos I could find, but still need some guidance.

Seeking opinions from those with real world experience. Truck is a 6.2 2021 LT, stock except for s&b CAI. Looking to add an exhaust system for a little more growl. I’ve got a loud car and a loud bike, so I’m not interested in blowing out eardrums. This is the first “nice” car I’ve had ever, so I’m REALLY enjoying the ride in the cab.

If the consensus is that the system Im looking for doesn’t exist, then so be it, I’ll stick with stock. I want as little interior drone as possible with a little more aggressive tone outside the truck. The dual/dual black tips look phenomenal as well.

So far, the leader for me is the flowmaster American thunder system. Borla touring is second, but it’s double the price, and I’m not sure it’s double what I’m looking for. Can anyone share any insight on that particular system or something else that may fit the bill?
Hello there, sorry for the late reply, just got back on this forum. I took off my stock muffler and added the black widow, angry housewife muffler. I also took off the resonators. I had the gentleman that installed my new muffler remove the resonators with a straight pipe weld on each side. I added some exhaust tips, dual exhaust tips and it looks and sounds awesome. Overall, I didn’t spend much money doing this. I definitely would look into the black widow, angry housewife, muffler, and also removing the resonators and adding dual Exhaust tips. I’ll try to add a video so you can hear the way my exhaust sounds with no droning sound. Overall, I spent about 500 bucks for all those modifications.

I’ve read as many opinions as I could and watched all the YouTube videos I could find, but still need some guidance.

Seeking opinions from those with real world experience. Truck is a 6.2 2021 LT, stock except for s&b CAI. Looking to add an exhaust system for a little more growl. I’ve got a loud car and a loud bike, so I’m not interested in blowing out eardrums. This is the first “nice” car I’ve had ever, so I’m REALLY enjoying the ride in the cab.

If the consensus is that the system Im looking for doesn’t exist, then so be it, I’ll stick with stock. I want as little interior drone as possible with a little more aggressive tone outside the truck. The dual/dual black tips look phenomenal as well.

So far, the leader for me is the flowmaster American thunder system. Borla touring is second, but it’s double the price, and I’m not sure it’s double what I’m looking for. Can anyone share any insight on that particular system or something else that may fit the bill?
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

I am going to try the AFE Apollo muffler replacement first. Just found that this morning while I was looking through AFE's website. Looks like it's the same principle as their muffler delete, just instead of a straight pipe, its got a muffler added on. Looks plug and play, so won't have to weld on anything like a universal muffler. For $150, its worth a shot.

Seems like the consensus is that anything that keeps the resonators intact will help, so I get to save some $$$ by not going with a full system and still keep those resonators. I'll figure out options for dual/dual exhaust tips later on down the road. If I hate this, I'll figure something else out.
So, did you install the AFE muffler and if so what's your opinion?

Haha, I’ll let you know once it ships. Been waiting over a month.

IMG_1203.jpeg

Its saying the file is too large. Send me your email I can send it that way. I have 3 different videos. Cold start, inside the cab from a stop to about 40mph, and exterior of the truck, driving away.
Hey I was also looking at this muffler. Did you keep your resonators or remove them? Can you send me any videos please?

Came in a little early and I installed today. Takeaways:

1) the bacon grease undercoating on the frame rails sucks

2) muffler accomplished what I wanted, albeit on the quiet side. There MAY be a 5% increase in overall volume from the truck outside and not even half that inside. The biggest change is in the bass note. I can liken it to changing the eq level on your stereo. Definitly more bass in the exhaust, and it growls at startup, but still very quiet. It now just sounds like there IS an actual engine in the truck, and there is a muffler there to harness it.

This likely won’t be the last muffler setup I have, and other than what was installed today, it’s 100% stock exhaust. I may clamp the flapper open, but overall I’m happy.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

I am going to try the AFE Apollo muffler replacement first. Just found that this morning while I was looking through AFE's website. Looks like it's the same principle as their muffler delete, just instead of a straight pipe, its got a muffler added on. Looks plug and play, so won't have to weld on anything like a universal muffler. For $150, its worth a shot.

Seems like the consensus is that anything that keeps the resonators intact will help, so I get to save some $$$ by not going with a full system and still keep those resonators. I'll figure out options for dual/dual exhaust tips later on down the road. If I hate this, I'll figure something else out.
How did this setup sound? I currently have the muffler and flapper deleted on my truck, with the resonators in. I also have a pulsar to get rid of the cylinder deactivation. Currently it sounds great when you get on it, and great at low speeds, but around 65-75 (which is a very popular speed to travel at in north Texas) it drones pretty heavily. I'm thinking about either a catback or doing like you said and replacing the muffler with the AFE replacement.

How did this setup sound? I currently have the muffler and flapper deleted on my truck, with the resonators in. I also have a pulsar to get rid of the cylinder deactivation. Currently it sounds great when you get on it, and great at low speeds, but around 65-75 (which is a very popular speed to travel at in north Texas) it drones pretty heavily. I'm thinking about either a catback or doing like you said and replacing the muffler with the AFE replacement.

Drone is definitely not a concern for me. That AFE muffler is incredibly quiet. Honestly with the exception of cold start up, it sounds stock unless you’re directly behind the truck listening to it.

There may come a day when I swap it for something else, but it accomplished my goal of zero drone for sure.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back