What's new

Metallic "click" sound coming from the rear end area

Tmob78

Reaction score
So my 2021 Chevy Silverado LT Trail boss 4x4 that has 22,000 miles has developed this random clicking sound that has progressively been getting worse over the last 3,000 miles. I had it at the dealer twice and they haven’t been able to figure it out. So I’ve placed my GoPro in different positions all over my vehicle to try to narrow down where it’s coming from (from the drivers seat it sounds like it is coming from the front drivers side) but I’m pretty sure it’s either coming from the driveshaft/ rear axle are. It only happens when you’re accelerating or decelerating and happens randomly, but every time you drive it. For instance this morning. I heard it 3 times on the way to work. On the way home I heard it like 10 times. If I power break it slightly at a stop I can some times make it “click” and it will do it regardless if you are in 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive. Has anybody else ran into this issue?

( I attached a link to a video I took of the sound. The video is a shorted video of a 5min 30 second drive I took where it made the sounds 13 times)

So I have an update to this. I was not getting anywhere with the dealer so I climbed under the truck and re torqued all the bolts on the rear of the truck and I found that the bolts attaching the leaf springs to the rear axle were slightly loose and after they were re torqued the sound went away. I think I have it solved now. I'll come back and confirm after a few days of driving it. Hopefully this solves it.

I’m glad you hopefully solved your problem 🤞🏼So many possibilities, thanks for following up with atleast one solution.

So I have an update to this. I was not getting anywhere with the dealer so I climbed under the truck and re torqued all the bolts on the rear of the truck and I found that the bolts attaching the leaf springs to the rear axle were slightly loose and after they were re torqued the sound went away. I think I have it solved now. I'll come back and confirm after a few days of driving it. Hopefully this solves it.
How many ft lbs did you torque it to?

It a huge pet peeve of mine when people ask questions on forums and never come back with the solution that solved there problem.... It doesn't help the community out.
I’m glad you hopefully solved your problem 🤞🏼So many possibilities, thanks for following up with atleast one solution.

Thank you so much Brother I just started hearing the same noise.

Haha! I'm gonna need to check mine now too just for :poop:&:LOL:. Earlier in the year I found that the right side upper ball joint was left loose from the factory... Maybe it was assembled on a Tuesday morning after a Monday night football game...

Attachments

• IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 26
Update on this older thread...
I started hearing a click (like a brake pad relocating in a caliper) when flexing the rear suspension. I started with my torque wrench at 40 ft/lbs and got a whole turn out of each leaf spring u-bolt nut before reaching 40... I torqued them all to 70 ft/lbs and so far, no more click... (as stated above, the torque spec is 59 ft/lbs and 130 degrees) The spring inserts were all tight and looked good. Might be worth checking on. I should have 3 months ago haha! 🤙

Some of this has been covered in other threads, but here is the TSB from may of 2021.

Update on this older thread...
I started hearing a click (like a brake pad relocating in a caliper) when flexing the rear suspension. I started with my torque wrench at 40 ft/lbs and got a whole turn out of each leaf spring u-bolt nut before reaching 40... I torqued them all to 70 ft/lbs and so far, no more click... (as stated above, the torque spec is 59 ft/lbs and 130 degrees) The spring inserts were all tight and looked good. Might be worth checking on. I should have 3 months ago haha! 🤙

Some of this has been covered in other threads, but here is the TSB from may of 2021.

Thank you so much

Definitely checking these this weekend as I have the clicking noise too. Just wondering if you guys who did retorque them down notice that the driveline seems better? I get some clunking (no noise) just the feeling. Like in stop and go traffic or rolling through a stop sign. Thanks.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back