What's new

Whining noise??

OkieKev

Reaction score
Been hearing a whining noise coming from the engine but can’t find exactly where it’s at. You can hear it the whole time it’s running. I’ve read it could be the idler pulley but wanted to know if anyone else has run into this? I’ve got about 45,000 miles on my 2020. Appreciate any help!

Search all threads for “whine,” seems most topics in here relate to transmission issues or potential transmission issues and see if your sound matches their descriptions. Hope not 🤞🏼.

Searching other forums I’ve seen idler pulley and serpentine belt to oil pump ect, but some have been replaced with no resolution. Not a mechanic, wish I knew more, but that’s where I would start. Maybe someone with more diagnostic knowledge can chip in.

Been hearing a whining noise coming from the engine but can’t find exactly where it’s at. You can hear it the whole time it’s running. I’ve read it could be the idler pulley but wanted to know if anyone else has run into this? I’ve got about 45,000 miles on my 2020. Appreciate any help!
I have 2020 and had to replace the idler pulley about 10,000 mi due to bad bearing. Mechanic stuck a stethoscope up to the bearing and it was definitely loud.

More then likely its your Idler Pully ive changed out a lot of them at the dealership I work at. Also if you have a 10spd it could be the gears for the transmission pump. Id start with that pulley though.

after taking a closer look at where the noise is coming from, I’m pretty sure it’s the idler pulley. I really appreciate everyone’s help!

Bumping this thread and adding another data point for this whining sound issue. The whining noise for me started about 2 weeks ago and didn't think much of it at first since I drowned out the sound with my stereo while driving. It sounded really bad outside of the truck when I remote started and also when the stereo was off while driving. I finally took it into the dealership two days ago and I just got it back today. They replaced the Idler Pulley and Serpentine belt and the TB is now good to go, the work was covered by warranty (30K miles on truck).

I’m picking mine up from the dealership today and they said the warranty didn’t cover everything. It was going to cost about $50 less than if I just paid out of pocket. It did turn out to be the idler pulley and serpentine belt for me as well.

How obvious is this whining sound for the pulley and belt issue? I’ve noticed some whining from time to time but assumed it was just my mother-in-law.

More then likely its your Idler Pully ive changed out a lot of them at the dealership I work at. Also if you have a 10spd it could be the gears for the transmission pump. Id start with that pulley though.
Appreciate you here on the Forum with your knowledge 👍

How obvious is this whining sound for the pulley and belt issue? I’ve noticed some whining from time to time but assumed it was just my mother-in-law.
It was pretty obvious on mine. Couldn’t hear it too much with the radio on but every startup you could definitely hear it

I wish I took a video of the sound when I had the issue, but a quick search I was able to find someone who posted a video of the exact sound I was hearing on my TB (video credit to Uriel Gonzalez). sound starts at the 52 second mark.

Like OkieKev said it was pretty obvious and the sound was not intermittent for me, it was always whining.

Reactions: Baz
Just to update, it was the idler pulley bearing going out. Cost a little over $300 at the dealership to fix it.

Reactions: Baz
I had a whining noise once, and well, she's gone and life just seem to get better! :ROFLMAO:

Took my 2021 into a local mechanic. They diagnosed the whining noise as a transmission bearing going out and I needed to replace the bearing and they recommended I replace the transmission. Found this discussion and saw that some people said it was the idler pulley. Took it to the Chevrolet dealership. That’s exactly what it was, Idler pulley- new serpentine belt - $350.

Most Reactions

Back