What's new

Ditch Light Brackets for 2021 TB - Opinions and Pics

I agree. Lights are not that expensive for really good ones anymore. Easier to get too. Well wait, until we find out from the current government that having to many lights is causing global warming!
Didn't you hear? Incandescent lights are banned. We have to use LED lights now, even though their waste is toxic and bad, and requires disposal at e-waste facilities. Next up, lasers are assault weapons.

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the brackets mlakey130 listed. I like how they are secured to the truck - hoping he goes forward and orders them as I am very interested. They are a little pricey, but I like how they are over the fender vs the hood.
I have placed my order for the SDHQ mounts. When I get them, I will take some pics and give more feedback.

My SDHQ brackets and Diode Dynamic SS3 lights arrive today. The instructions for the brackets were adequate, not fabulous. I figured out what bolts they were wanting to be removed and once I figure that out, install went fairly smooth. I used a small o-ring to keep spacer on bolt on lower part of bracket while reaching in to get threads started. I dropped one down in the wheel well and had to dig it out thru bottom of front door opening before deciding to use an o-ring to hold them together. It was also a very tight fit between bracket and antennae mount, but works good once all bolts are tightened up. I did not have time tonight to get wiring done, but got lights mounted. Actually still waiting for my light controller to arrive anyways. Overall, I am very pleased with how the brackets are mounted back and out of the way of the hood. I would recommend them if anyone asks. Very nice and sturdy. Can't wait to see the lights when powered up!
tempImageCZPohF.jpg
tempImageDA9SS3.jpg
tempImagex1ihIO.jpg
tempImagehTHu4h.jpg
tempImageZ0ufRL.jpg
tempImage3g6ZOz.jpg
tempImageRqbj1R.jpg

Thanks for the write up and pics as well as your experience installing them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up and pics as well as your experience installing them.
Took about 1-1/2 hours to install. Would have been easier if instructions were a bit better. I was just being extra careful along the way as to not scratch my paint and it is not easy reaching in to secure lower bolt with spacer provided. Biggest feature for me was the hood can be opened without worry of lights being in the way and the bolt sticking down holding light was not a problem getting into hood or fender. The plastic trim piece had to be trimmed to clear bracket but was easy to do. For the price (the brackets are pricey), it was worth it. Very happy with how they turned out. Now gotta figure out a light bar and rear facing lights... I am close to having my TB how I want.

I'm a huge fan of the RC ditch lights. Easy install. Durable and good light options for whatever you want (spot or flood). I've put these RC kits on my last 3 vehicles and have never had any issues at all. Surprisingly, these ditch lights get more comments from folks at gas stations, parking lots, etc.. than just about anything else I've done to the truck (don't tell my wife...since it's about one of the cheapest mods I've done so far :) )

1692453641032.png

I'm a huge fan of the RC ditch lights. Easy install. Durable and good light options for whatever you want (spot or flood). I've put these RC kits on my last 3 vehicles and have never had any issues at all. Surprisingly, these ditch lights get more comments from folks at gas stations, parking lots, etc.. than just about anything else I've done to the truck (don't tell my wife...since it's about one of the cheapest mods I've done so far :) )

View attachment 6602
Good looking TB. That front bumper is menacing.

Thanks for posting and don't worry.. I won't tell your wife 😉.

I really like the SDHQ and how them mount, but for the costs, you can get the RC Brackets with light, wiring and save $60.
Many here on the forum really like the RC bracket and it looks like they are much easier to install as well..

So after much thought and research - thanks to my fellow Trail Boss owners - I've decided to order the RC brackets.
I'll post once they are installed.

So I received the RC Brackets and installed one of the brackets with the DD SS2 lights.
I think I should have gone with the SDHQ brackets mlakey130 posted as they seem to be better positioned, especially for the DD SS2 lights.

So, I will be ordering them and will determine if they look any better (I think they will).
If I remember to, I'll install one of each bracket type and take a few pics so everyone here can see the difference.

Below pic is with the driver side RC bracket and DD SS2 light installed.

RC_Bracket-SS2_Light.jpg

" ... opinions and pics."

I'm constantly trying to get maximum fuel economy in daily driving, so permanently mounting anything on the exterior is not my first choice. I opted for magnetic mounts for a CB antenna, emergency Yellow flashing bar and ditch lights. (Doors and hood are aluminum, but roof and bed are still steel.)

Mounted this way, I can also set the 60W LEDS sideways or backwards for lighting Recovery work. Wire cable comes in through the door seal, power from the pax side fuse block, and includes a Relay for the switch.
RoofTopEquip.jpeg

So I received the RC Brackets and installed one of the brackets with the DD SS2 lights.
I think I should have gone with the SDHQ brackets mlakey130 posted as they seem to be better positioned, especially for the DD SS2 lights.

So, I will be ordering them and will determine if they look any better (I think they will).
If I remember to, I'll install one of each bracket type and take a few pics so everyone here can see the difference.

Below pic is with the driver side RC bracket and DD SS2 light installed.

View attachment 6635
Do you think a different light would work better? It looks like the bracket may be further forward than where the SDHQ bracket is. I am sure there are pros and cons to any of them. But after having mine on for almost a week, I still am happy with them. I applaud your trying to get best solution for your truck. BTW that bumper is BADA$$.

Do you think a different light would work better? It looks like the bracket may be further forward than where the SDHQ bracket is. I am sure there are pros and cons to any of them. But after having mine on for almost a week, I still am happy with them. I applaud your trying to get best solution for your truck. BTW that bumper is BADA$$.
Yes, I think a bigger light, like the SS3 would look better on this mount, but I was looking to use a smaller footprint light (SS2's) as the ditch lights.
Thanks, I've gone through various upgrades trying to get the look I like - hence why I just ordered the (over priced) SDHQ brackets. :)

And thanks for the compliment on the bumper, if you want see the install pics, you can see them here at: 2021 TB FabFours Matrix Bumper Install

" ... opinions and pics."

I'm constantly trying to get maximum fuel economy in daily driving, so permanently mounting anything on the exterior is not my first choice. I opted for magnetic mounts for a CB antenna, emergency Yellow flashing bar and ditch lights. (Doors and hood are aluminum, but roof and bed are still steel.)

Mounted this way, I can also set the 60W LEDS sideways or backwards for lighting Recovery work. Wire cable comes in through the door seal, power from the pax side fuse block, and includes a Relay for the switch.
View attachment 6636
Thanks for the good suggestion. If I weren't looking for a permanent solutions, i'd look into these.

Yes, I think a bigger light, like the SS3 would look better on this mount, but I was looking to use a smaller footprint light (SS2's) as the ditch lights.
Thanks, I've gone through various upgrades trying to get the look I like - hence why I just ordered the (over priced) SDHQ brackets. :)

And thanks for the compliment on the bumper, if you want see the install pics, you can see them here at: 2021 TB FabFours Matrix Bumper Install
I agree, the SDHQs are pricey for what they are, but I decided I didn't want to skimp on a cheap accessory (just my thought process and nothing against a less expensive alternative). Forums like this help filter out the marketing sales pitch of stuff and give real world examples/uses/reviews. I am glad that my opinion which was hopefully unbiased leading, helped you decide how/which/what you wanted to do to your rig. I enjoy all examples and even if some things I don't like, I appreciate that each owner has their vision of their own TB. Cheers!

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back