What's new

Transmission won’t shift into Drive

JoBo

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Custom Trail Boss that I bought new. I have not had any issues until this morning. I drove about a mile. Put the truck in park for about 3 minutes. Then I put it in reverse backed up a few feet then put it in drive. And nothing. The shifter shifted into drive but all that happened was the engine reving up. Of course it had 65,000 miles on it and the drivetrain warranty is only 60,000. Has anyone else had this happen? Did the transmission have to be replaced? Or was it something else like a module?

I have a 2021 Custom Trail Boss that I bought brand new that is doing the same thing. It left me and my family stranded yesterday. Today, I went back to have it towed to a dealership and it worked just fine. I was able to drive it on to the tow truck. I’m waiting to hear back from the dealership. I’ve got 57K miles. I’ll be interested to hear what happens with yours. I’ll post here when I hear back about mine.

Dealership mechanics “could not replicate the problem”. So apparently my 2 kiddos, my wife, and myself getting stranded for 4 hours two days ago and then having to call a friend to drive an hour both ways 1 day ago to take us, our mountain bikes, and our canoes home isn’t reason enough for them to use some deductive reasoning and fix what is probably a ball valve getting stuck in a separator plate… probably… cheap and easy for them to do… I’m not sure why they can’t just give it a shot.

JMO, cuz these damn kids can’t figure shit out unless the computer tells them what to do.

had a dealer call yesterday, need a TPM sensor replaced on a 3500 DRW...Stated, "they could get the rear wheels off to replace the sensors"

hard to believe, they don't have any one with torque sticks to reach in and remove the wheel.

JMO, cuz these damn kids can’t figure shit out unless the computer tells them what to do.
Agreed. I’m sure the kids working at the dealership are good kids, they’re just doing it the way that they were trained to do it, which is basically “error code or it didn’t happen”.

I have a 2021 Custom Trail Boss that I bought new. I have not had any issues until this morning. I drove about a mile. Put the truck in park for about 3 minutes. Then I put it in reverse backed up a few feet then put it in drive. And nothing. The shifter shifted into drive but all that happened was the engine reving up. Of course it had 65,000 miles on it and the drivetrain warranty is only 60,000. Has anyone else had this happen? Did the transmission have to be replaced? Or was it something else like a module
Update: The next day the truck shifted into drive and was completely fine. If you shift slowly and give the systems time to keep up it works. But later the same day I grabbed the shifter and dropped in drive and stepped on the gas and nothing. I had to put it back in park and take it easy. Then wait a beat before I stepped on the gas. It has worked fine since then and that was Saturday. I haven’t messed with the dealership yet because I know they won’t have a clue.

Update: The next day the truck shifted into drive and was completely fine. If you shift slowly and give the systems time to keep up it works. But later the same day I grabbed the shifter and dropped in drive and stepped on the gas and nothing. I had to put it back in park and take it easy. Then wait a beat before I stepped on the gas. It has worked fine since then and that was Saturday. I haven’t messed with the dealership yet because I know they won’t have a clue.
Mine just did it again, while picking my kids up from school. This is the 3rd time in less than a week. The 2nd time, it happened as I was driving in to a parking lot. As in, I wasn’t going from Park to Drive. I turned in to a parking lot and, all of the sudden, my truck would just rev and not go forward while pressing the accelerator. It’s off to a different dealership now. If you’re interested, I’ll keep this thread posted. Fingers crossed they actually do something this time. The 1st and 2nd time I got stranded, I tried everything you mentioned above. Shifting slowly, being patient, and etc. I’ll keep this thread posted if you’re still interested.

Mine just did it again, while picking my kids up from school. This is the 3rd time in less than a week. The 2nd time, it happened as I was driving in to a parking lot. As in, I wasn’t going from Park to Drive. I turned in to a parking lot and, all of the sudden, my truck would just rev and not go forward while pressing the accelerator. It’s off to a different dealership now. If you’re interested, I’ll keep this thread posted. Fingers crossed they actually do something this time. The 1st and 2nd time I got stranded, I tried everything you mentioned above. Shifting slowly, being patient, and etc. I’ll keep this thread posted if you’re still interested.
I’d be interested to see what the dealership says. Mine did it yesterday again as well. I was pulling out of a parking lot and all of sudden it was reving up when I tried to pull out on the highway. Just like yours I wasn’t shifting into drive I had already driven up a hill and then it wouldn’t go. Like yours it left me stranded no amount of shifting slowly and being patient worked. Several hours later I went back and put it in drive and drove the truck home. Talked to a local transmission guy and he seemed familiar with the 8 speeds having an issue. Fingers crossed it’s a simple fix and won’t cost me a ton because mine is out of warranty. But he’s a couple of weeks out so I won’t know anything for certain until then. But I’ll update when it’s hopefully fixed.

I’m glad I found this, I am currently going through this same issue. My truck has 60,333 miles just past warranty also. My truck is currently at a transmission shop. They are trying to re create the problem but are having no luck.

You gotta wonder if it’s a computer program glitch. They could test sensors, inputs, outputs, pressures, etc ….
When a computer program flakes out and it’s intermittent, oh boy!
Tracking that down could be a Herculean task.

I’m still waiting. My truck has been at the dealership since last Thursday (it’s Tuesday now). I told them to keep it until it’s fixed. They gave me a Trailblazer as a loaner until I get my truck back. I had a good conversation with one of the main mechanics at the dealership that my truck is at now. Much better than the last dealership that did nothing (didn’t even check the fluid levels and etc). The mechanic at the dealership where my truck is at now thought it likely has something to do with the valve body, which is what I suspected. I’m hoping that they are working on it today… or this week at least. I’ll update here when I know more.

I’m glad I found this, I am currently going through this same issue. My truck has 60,333 miles just past warranty also. My truck is currently at a transmission shop. They are trying to re create the problem but are having no luck.
I’m getting my truck back today. The guy at the shop thinks it might be the TCM but doesn’t want to change it and it still happens. He was never able to recreate the problem so he can’t diagnose the problem. Im wishful thinking but I hope it does not happen again and leave me stranded.

Hopefully someone here finds the solution and shares it with the rest.

I’m getting my truck back today. The guy at the shop thinks it might be the TCM but doesn’t want to change it and it still happens. He was never able to recreate the problem so he can’t diagnose the problem. Im wishful thinking but I hope it does not happen again and leave me stranded.

Hopefully someone here finds the solution and shares it with the rest.
Sorry to hear they couldn’t get you fixed up. I’ll keep updating this post when mine gets resolved.

Just heard from the dealership. They ordered the parts for a valve body replacement. They’ve had my truck for a week. I’m assuming that they tested it until they replicated the issue and determined that the valve body was the culprit.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back