What's new

Would You Buy The Same Truck Again?

I never said the speed limiter was a major hindrance. That one is on you. You started making accusations for nothing.

I never said you said anything about the speed limiter. It wasn't even you I was talking to. You interjected your opinion, which is no problem...but then you started getting all defensive when I replied to you. I haven't been the one making accusations either! You're the one who jumped in, got defensive, started making accusations, and then blamed me for doing all those things!

This all started from my simple question about how a 98mph speed limiter can possibly be a huge problem. I think we really need to stick to talking about guns.

Just curious. If something happened where you need to replace your truck, such as getting totaled in an accident or natural disaster, would you buy your truck again? What would you do differently, such as engine, trim level, etc? If you wouldn't buy it again, what would you replace it with, and why?

I'll go first. No. It's more truck than I need. The initial goal was to buy a travel trailer big enough for the whole family, but COVID and the subsequent inflation priced me out of that. Now that the kids are getting older the prospect of going on family camping/glamping trips is out. That means I soon won't need as big of a trailer, too. I'd downsize to a Canyon AT4X, possibly with all the AEV goodies. I'm not a fan of a turbo 4-cylinder, but everybody except Nissan are going that route. I don't want the Nissan. The Silverado can be difficult to park, especially in places like Southern California where all the parking spots are as small as the Toyota Prius. Parking spots are bigger in Western Florida (aka Lower Alabama), but I move every 3 years and ending up back in a larger city with tiny parking spots is always a possibility. If, and only if, I did opt to go with a Silverado again I'd likely go with the Duramax. The 6.2 has been a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed having it, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm trying to reduce expenses and the cost per dollar for driving the 6.2 is higher than the Duramax.
Engine failed at 40,000 miles.

Was asked if I had it tuned or if I had done any mods? No
Was asked for Oil change history? Provided (every 7000 miles)

Still under power train warranty.
MY question for anyone out there is i was told i might have to pay possibly a portion because i have a 6" lift. Was told that increased load etc. could of contributed. SMH but if truck is rated for X amount tow capacity blah blah. How can they justify the lift being partially responsible for the engine failure. Does anyone have experience with this or have any advise on how to proceed. Should I be liable? Gm has their best interest at hand but who has mine? I'm in AZ and 75 percent of Chevy's trucks on the road are lifted.

I'd replace with it with the exact same truck and put the same $25K plus into it. Wouldn't even think twice on it. Only thing I'd option out would be upgraded side mirrors and instead of just the front clear wrapped I'd do the whole truck right off the lot. Love my truck!!!

MY question for anyone out there is i was told i might have to pay possibly a portion because i have a 6" lift. Was told that increased load etc. could of contributed. SMH but if truck is rated for X amount tow capacity blah blah. How can they justify the lift being partially responsible for the engine failure. Does anyone have experience with this or have any advise on how to proceed. Should I be liable? Gm has their best interest at hand but who has mine? I'm in AZ and 75 percent of Chevy's trucks on the road are lifted.

I never said you said anything about the speed limiter. It wasn't even you I was talking to. You interjected your opinion, which is no problem...but then you started getting all defensive when I replied to you. I haven't been the one making accusations either! You're the one who jumped in, got defensive, started making accusations, and then blamed me for doing all those things!

This all started from my simple question about how a 98mph speed limiter can possibly be a huge problem. I think we really need to stick to talking about guns.
Go back and read posts #25-29. You're the one who laid into me first. Of course I'm going to get defensive.

Go back and read posts #25-29. You're the one who laid into me first. Of course I'm going to get defensive.

I was referring directly to those posts. I did no "laying in". Perhaps you misinterpreted my tone...I dunno...but all I was doing was asking questions to try to understand something that makes zero sense to me. You seem to have found "judgement" in my post where there was none at all...that's where you got defensive and this conversation spiraled.

What exactly do you mean by "engine failed"? And no, they can't nullify warranty terms because of modifications not directly connected to the failed component...that's illegal. This is your dealer trying to get more money out of the fix. GM pays a pre-determined amount for a given warranty fix...there are certainly cases where that amount is laughably insufficient but more often the dealer just wants to make more money. Fortunately GM has a resource you can utilize to help - every region has a manager employed by GM to oversee dealer-customer relations. That's the person you want to get in contact with if you can't get cooperation from your dealer.

It's funny that we GM owners are used to this structure and don't realize how lucky we are - over at FCA/Stellantis they have no such resource. FCA just shrugs its shoulders when dealers take advantage of their customers...and because dealers know they can get away with it, they generally do. This results in pretty much all FCA dealers being absolutely bottom-of-the-cesspool scumbags. There are endless examples of owners having to get legal representation and go after FCA before anything gets done. Once legal papers are drawn up (and thousands are spent by the vehicle owner) FCA caves and fixes the problem. But until a lawyer is involved, their attitude is essentially "well what ya gonna do 'bout it?!".

Just curious. If something happened where you need to replace your truck, such as getting totaled in an accident or natural disaster, would you buy your truck again? What would you do differently, such as engine, trim level, etc? If you wouldn't buy it again, what would you replace it with, and why?

I'll go first. No. It's more truck than I need. The initial goal was to buy a travel trailer big enough for the whole family, but COVID and the subsequent inflation priced me out of that. Now that the kids are getting older the prospect of going on family camping/glamping trips is out. That means I soon won't need as big of a trailer, too. I'd downsize to a Canyon AT4X, possibly with all the AEV goodies. I'm not a fan of a turbo 4-cylinder, but everybody except Nissan are going that route. I don't want the Nissan. The Silverado can be difficult to park, especially in places like Southern California where all the parking spots are as small as the Toyota Prius. Parking spots are bigger in Western Florida (aka Lower Alabama), but I move every 3 years and ending up back in a larger city with tiny parking spots is always a possibility. If, and only if, I did opt to go with a Silverado again I'd likely go with the Duramax. The 6.2 has been a lot of fun and I've really enjoyed having it, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm trying to reduce expenses and the cost per dollar for driving the 6.2 is higher than the Duramax.
I like my "19 Custom TB but its a company truck. Fords are dull, Chevy seems to have stupid 6 speed tranny's that develop issues a little too quickly and this is my second one. I'm a RAM man so it'd be a RAM 1500 kitted up (you seem to get a lot more truck for your money compared to Silverado's) or a RAM 2500 work truck or a Tundra.

I like my "19 Custom TB but its a company truck. Fords are dull, Chevy seems to have stupid 6 speed tranny's that develop issues a little too quickly and this is my second one. I'm a RAM man so it'd be a RAM 1500 kitted up (you seem to get a lot more truck for your money compared to Silverado's) or a RAM 2500 work truck or a Tundra.

God bless you guys who voluntarily subject yourself to the whims of FCA. You deserve medals or something.

I agree that the RAM offers a lot more for your money but after owning several FCA products I will never again volunteer myself for that level of torture.

I was referring directly to those posts. I did no "laying in". Perhaps you misinterpreted my tone...I dunno...but all I was doing was asking questions to try to understand something that makes zero sense to me. You seem to have found "judgement" in my post where there was none at all...that's where you got defensive and this conversation spiraled.
I'm calling BS about not "laying in" after rereading post #28. I explained myself following that, to which you doubled down in post #31. You didn't ask questions in those posts. You made accusations. You got called out, but would rather feign being a victim. How about you just stop. You've tried saying you weren't initially taking to me, but the identified posts indicate that claim to be false. The judgements are obvious. I have every right to be defensive. The first thing you typed in #28 was a judgement, not a question. You could've just let it go at #31. You're the one who keeps trying to deflect. Stopping is overdue, but not too late. After all, as requested I tried to talk about guns.

With the Pulsar LT installed on my TB and changes made I once saw +30mph over the factory governor. Didn’t need it, but like being able to if I chose.

I'm calling BS about not "laying in" after rereading post #28. I explained myself following that, to which you doubled down in post #31. You didn't ask questions in those posts. You made accusations. You got called out, but would rather feign being a victim. How about you just stop. You've tried saying you weren't initially taking to me, but the identified posts indicate that claim to be false. The judgements are obvious. I have every right to be defensive. The first thing you typed in #28 was a judgement, not a question. You could've just let it go at #31. You're the one who keeps trying to deflect. Stopping is overdue, but not too late. After all, as requested I tried to talk about guns.

Absolutely none of what I said was meant as "laying in", judgements, or accusations. I'm sorry you took it that way. Post #26 was in response to az2022tbgblue, then you responded to #26 with #27. Then I asked you a question in #28 and I guess you took offense to it because in #29 you go defensive. Again, none of what I said was intended to attack in any way...but that's where it started...and that was YOU, not me. I just wanted an answer to my question and I never got one (see the second paragraph in #31 if you're asking why I typed that post)...seems my skepticism was right.

If something happened to my 2020 5.3 I’d definitely go bigger, 2500 duramax. I pull a 30’ travel trailer and I know we will upgrade in the next few years.

Me personally? Yes.

What happened? Wanted more tow capacity, more payload, larger fuel tank, more amenities.

I recently traded in my 2022 TB 2.7T HO with a Tech Package for a fully loaded 2024 Ram 1500 Crew Cab in Red with Night Edition and adding a new 4" lift kit and 35s. The reason, wanted more towing capacity, wanted the 33 gallon tank, wanted a different color, wanted more amenities.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back