What's new

Automatic running boards

C904

Reaction score
I have a 2020 TB LT and have been considering getting the powered running boards. It is more of a functionality thing because 1. They typically go lower when in use and I have some gravitally challenged family members. 2. I don't want to lose clearance.
I typically get back in public lands for hunting and some puddles are deeper than others... I am not an off roader, but I do get off the beaten path. My question is how well they hold up to the elements. Am I setting myself up for failure?

I was initially interested in them but the cost deterred me and living in Michigan with super salted roads, I was worried about them binding up and the electronics eventually corroding and stopping working. Amp Research makes 3 different versions, standard, XL which goes 3" lower than the standard and an XTreme version which is supposed to be designed for snow and mud caked vehicles.

While pricey, my Amp steps are easily one of my favorite mods. I haven’t gone off road with them or made it through a winter, but I have been pleasantly surprised about how durable they appear to be. The material is sturdy and the finish is tough. They are expensive though!
I can’t remember what thread it was in but Stormin08 just did a mini-review of the RC electric steps and he prefers those over the Amp steps, and they’re considerably cheaper. Ultimately I think you have options based on your budget but I highly encourage you to give them a look.

So far, about a week in, i ma super pleased with the Rough Country E-Board. They come with Dual motors per side, super solid construction, and easy to install.

they seem to be slightly quiter in function and dont clunk as much were engaging.

I did not like how AMP wants me to install the motor and torque (i think it eases their packaging)...what i will say, after watching the reviews of all...if doing the amp
20240421_192017-2.jpg
or others were you install the motor, i was ask about greasing the gears...that may help in sound and clunking.

So far, about a week in, i ma super pleased with the Rough Country E-Board. They come with Dual motors per side, super solid construction, and easy to install.

they seem to be slightly quiter in function and dont clunk as much were engaging.

I did not like how AMP wants me to install the motor and torque (i think it eases their packaging)...what i will say, after watching the reviews of all...if doing the amp or others were you install the motor, i was ask about greasing the gears...that may help in sound and clunking.
How much of a pain was it to install the wiring and the magnets in the cab? I was looking at the RC ones over the Amp ones, but that part looked like it could be tricky.

i took my time running and routing everything...i drilled the pinch welds to aid in hiding the wiring.

the magnets are not as bad as people make them out to be. Roll some tape to TEMP locate the magnets. I just eye balled them close, and started trying them.

2 try's at best and they were located.

I installed the AMPs and love them. I live in a mild climate and haven’t banged them up offroad so can’t offer anything as to their extreme conditions durability.

I am on my second set of AMP running boards. I will buy them again. Very easy for women to get out of the lifted beast.

I love mine. They only suck in the winter. Mine freeze up, so when it gets cold and snowy I have to pull the fuse out or they freeze up, usually in the down position, and only on 1 side. Pretty dumb if you ask me. Still love them though.

I love mine. They only suck in the winter. Mine freeze up, so when it gets cold and snowy I have to pull the fuse out or they freeze up, usually in the down position, and only on 1 side. Pretty dumb if you ask me. Still love them though.
Have you used them in muddy conditions. That is my biggest concern down here.... I get in some mud and cross some creeks routinely when I am hunting.

Have you used them in muddy conditions. That is my biggest concern down here.... I get in some mud and cross some creeks routinely when I am hunting.
I have not. Here we use a combo of salt and sand on the roads during the winter and I haven't had issues regarding dirt or mud. Mine is temp related. That said, I have the regular ones. They have the extreme version with dual motors on each side. Mine only have one. I'm sure that the extreme ones would fair way better.

I have a 2020 TB LT and have been considering getting the powered running boards. It is more of a functionality thing because 1. They typically go lower when in use and I have some gravitally challenged family members. 2. I don't want to lose clearance.
I typically get back in public lands for hunting and some puddles are deeper than others... I am not an off roader, but I do get off the beaten path. My question is how well they hold up to the elements. Am I setting myself up for failure?
I had a set of AMP steps on my Tundra for 6 years. I hunt in the swamp and have to go down muddy, gravely, oilfield roads in south Louisiana. They held up fine. When I would see that they weren't retracting during hunting season due to mud and debris, just go to the carwash, blow off all of the crud, and use a good spray lube, or oil. Not WD-40. I used Ballistol non-aresol spray.

I'm running the Go Rhino dual motor steps. After about 1 year the driver side started moving slower. It gets double use, as once I close the front I open the back to let the dog out. I used some spray lube on any moving part I could get at. Working fine now.

Most Reactions

Back