What's new

98 mph Governor!!!!!

I'm regularly above 98mph in short bursts and I have over 14K on my 6.2 now. It's a myth. The SC adds more torque and HP so that would be the issue, twisting the aluminum from added torque, nothing to do with speed.

The 98 mph limit is due to the tire safety issue, The pulsar LT now let’s mine go up to 140 MPH.. Never tried or seen that yet.. 122MPH once when playing around with a Ram Rebel on the thruway..

The 98 mph limit is due to the tire safety issue, The pulsar LT now let’s mine go up to 140 MPH.. Never tried or seen that yet.. 122MPH once when playing around with a Ram Rebel on the thruway..
I had to establish my dominance on a fella in a 3500 Cummins a few weeks ago…kept pulling beside me and bouncing. He realized when I was pulling away from him at 128mph that he didn’t stand a chance. Stupid I know but it was a long straightaway with no traffic.

I had to establish my dominance on a fella in a 3500 Cummins a few weeks ago…kept pulling beside me and bouncing. He realized when I was pulling away from him at 128mph that he didn’t stand a chance. Stupid I know but it was a long straightaway with no traffic.
Love hearing these kill stories 😎👍

Have to admit it sucks, 2022 re-fresh with 3,500 miles on it and coming home from the river decided to open it up. Dam 98 limited came up on the dash, all I would like to do is 100MPH and not to go fast as we race cars but just to do it.

I live my life a quarter mile at a time…
IMG_1772.png

It is due to tire speed ratings. I got the 20" wheel option on my truck and it has the governor at 112mph. It's still pulling hard at that speed, I can't imagine having it cut off at only 98! When I'm passing I want to pass fast and get back in my lane and get back down to speed. It's easy to hit 98 if you're trying to pass a semi or 2 vehicles quickly.

Speed RatingMaximum Speed
BUp to 31 mph
CUp to 37 mph
DUp to 40 mph
EUp to 43 mph
FUp to 50 mph
GUp to 56 mph
JUp to 62 mph
KUp to 68 mph
LUp to 75 mph
MUp to 81 mph
NUp to 87 mph
PUp to 93 mph
QUp to 100 mph
RUp to 106 mph
SUp to 112 mph
TUp to 118 mph
UUp to 124 mph
HUp to 130 mph
VUp to 149 mph
WUp to 168 mph
YUp to 186 mph
Z149 mph and over
See where it says the "Y" type is good for 186? I've been told that is what my 2007 Base Corvette will do ... as long as I leave it in Fifth gear. And of course it's difficult to find tires for Corvette that are not at least "W" or "Y" type tires. With the next year model, 2008, the higher horsepower LS3 might be able to get to the top speedometer reading of 200 MPH.

A Corvette like mine, with only 400 HP and good for at least 200,000 miles ... can be had for less than $25,000 again. This is what you should have for driving above 98 MPH. As I have posted before, it is possible to purchase both a New Trail Boss AND a nice used Corvette for about the same as a Dodge TRX or a Ford FX4 alone ...

Pretty sure this is a big part of it. The 98mph rating corresponds to the stock tires im pretty sure. In fact I think the limiter is set to 112 on RST's that come with a different tire.

I did remove mine when I installed the Pulsar. not for any reason in particular, but it's a feature of module, so might as well. I have a liter bike if I wanted to go over 98mph.
I got my 2020 RST with 22" and is set to 98 mph, of course theres no reason to go that fast, but sometimes it really is a pain in the a## when trying to pass someone. Also not sure if i were to get the pulsar Lt, will that void the bumper to bumper warranty?

Anybody tried driving in a state where the posted speed limit is 85 mph? You definitely more than a 98 mph governor. Some people are dicks. When you try to pass they zip over in front of you and keep you from passing for no reason at all. I'll never understand it. Had to take my wife's 2017 Traverse up to the 126 mph governor once because of this. In the Silverado I'd be better off running into their rear bumper and pushing them off the road. I have plenty of racing experience. Salt Flats, drag, road coarse, open road racing, etc. How about 148 in a Chevy Cobalt SS? $1,000 of mods later and that was up to 172. If I went any faster I would've had to rebuild the head to prevent valve float. I wonder how much a Cobalt SS goes for now.

Crazy time to live ...
We can probably discuss driving so fast all day. But mention anything about m a g a ... and the FIB might pay you a visit.

"Cobalt SS" ?? So that is not the same as a Trans Am Worldwide 70 SS?

Which, IIRC, only comes with either 550HP, 900HP or 1,500HP ...

And if that's true (HP) they will probably do as in my Corvette: the stock throttle/pedal response is S L O W W W. I bought a Soler Throttle Controller to change that. VERY responsive now. I think the stock response curve is so that a new buyer will get a little further from the dealership before they wrap it around a tree.

Last edited:
Crazy time to live ...
We can probably discuss driving so fast all day. But mention anything about m a g a ... and the FIB might pay you a visit.

"Cobalt SS" ?? So that is not the same as a Trans Am Worldwide 70 SS?

Which, IIRC, only comes with either 550HP, 900HP or 1,500HP ...

And if that's true (HP) they will probably do as in my Corvette: the stock throttle/pedal response is S L O W W W. I bought a Soler Throttle Controller to change that. VERY responsive now. I think the stock response curve is so that a new buyer will get a little further from the dealership before they wrap it around a tree.
Cobalt replaced the Cavalier in 2005, and was then replaced by the Cruze a few years later. 2005-2007 had a supercharged 2.0 litre engine rated at 205hp/205tq, iirc. Stricter emissions requirements killed the LSJ. In 2009 the Cobalt SS returned with the LNF motor which was a turbocharged 2.0 litre engine rated at 260/260. The supercharged models had a large final drive ratio 3.72 vs 3.45, iirc. This meant the supercharged models were quicker off the line, but the turbocharged models would pass them art just under 100mph. The turbocharged models were also the first vehicle to get Chevy's Performance Data Recorder (PDR) system that has since evolved and been installed in the Corvette. The turbo models also got rid of the Recaro seats in favor of something else GM had made with no label. The tabs backing both engines was the 5-speed in the Saab 9-3. Good trans with tall gears. Iirc, 4th gear topped out at around 132 or 134 mph, which allowed me to get into the 130 MPH Club on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Shifting into 5th always kept me from reaching the club. Rev limiter was 6,500 rpm. After the Bonneville runs I started modding the car. Supercharger pulley, 56# injectors, and a custom tune that included raising the rev limiter to 7,000 rpms got her up to an estimated 260-270+ bhp. Set the cruise at 60 mph and I was seeing 40 mpg. Put the foot into it and it was thirsty.

Gotta agree with the sensible crowd...I don't see a problem here. It's a truck. Want to go fast? Get a fast car. That's what I did.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back